Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
mrhcarlin
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Matt

Exporting with Veeam Explorer for Exchange

Post by mrhcarlin »

I'm aware that Outlook x64 must be installed on the machine where Veeam B&R is installed, but ideally I'd like to install some kind of Veeam B&R tool (like a 'slimline' version maybe) on my PC. I'm just not too comfortable installing Office on a server and bloating it up.

Is there any way of doing what I'm after? Is it recommended or even possible to install B&R on a client workstation and connect it remotely to the Veeam database? Are there any best practices I should consider with any of my options?

Thanks in advance
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Re: Exporting with Veeam Explorer for Exchange

Post by Shestakov »

Hello,
So far you need Outlook to be installed with Veeam B&R and that`s the only way to export with Veeam Explorer which is a special tool itself.
mrhcarlin wrote:Is it recommended or even possible to install B&R on a client workstation and connect it remotely to the Veeam database?
No, you can not share database between VBR consoles.
mrhcarlin wrote:I'm just not too comfortable installing Office on a server and bloating it up.

VBR server not necessary has to be installed on a most-productive computer, you can just install it somewhere along with Outlook and use your best hosts (your current servers) as backup proxies.
Thanks.
mrhcarlin
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Matt

Post by mrhcarlin »

Thanks for the reply.

I guess the simplest solution is to just install Outlook on our Veeam server. Can Veeam Explorer be used on the web console? I can access Veeam Backup Enterprise Manager from any PC.
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Post by Shestakov »

mrhcarlin,
Veeam Explorer can be used only from the server. Thank you.