Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
TGordo
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Ted Gordon

Veeam Replication Architecture ? -B&R Server/Repos Location?

Post by TGordo »

We are looking at using Veeam strictly for Replication of VMs between our Production datacenter and our DR site, which is connected via a 10Gb line.

From looking through the Veeam B&R User Guide Rev3 - page 88 under Offiste Replication states: "The backup repository should be deployed in the production site, closer to the source backup proxy." I've opened a ticket questioning this logic, case 00647340, but I'd like some user feedback as well. Both sites would of course have a Backup Proxy. My main B&R Server/Repository will be hosted on a VM - the question is on which site this VM would be located. A DR or BCP event that prompts us to failover to VMs running at the DR site will likely involve the Production datacenter VMs being inaccessible - wether a server/storage or networking issue. The point being that my DR site would not be able to communicate back to the B&R Server/Repository VM.

Considering that situation, would it not make more sense to instead host the B&R Server/Repository VM at the DR location? I'm sure there there is a performance/network traffic benefit to hosting at the primary Production site, but from a recoverability standpoint it seems that the recommended architecture would introduce complexity in a DR/BCP situation.

Thoughts?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Veeam Replication Architecture ? -B&R Server/Repos Locat

Post by foggy »

Ted, it is indeed recommended to have Veeam B&R server responsible for replication residing on the target host to be able to use automatic failover/failback capabilities. However, repository for storing replica metadata is not involved in the process of recovery from DR situation and should always be located closer to the original VMs, due to replication performance considerations. Thanks.
TGordo
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Ted Gordon

Post by TGordo »

Thanks for the quick reply.

If I understand you correctly, the ideal architecture for my deployment would have VM deployed like below. I have bolded the server functions as listed in the User Guide in the Solution Architecture section:

Production location:
- (1) Veeam Proxy Server with local Veeam Backup Repository.

Disaster Recovery location:
- (1) Veeam Backup Server with Veeam Backup SQL Database and Veeam Backup Enterprise Manager.
- (1) Veeam Proxy Server.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Looks good. You can even combine the roles in DR location on a single VM, if resources allow.