Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
flfb
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Jeremy Jon Hilsen

Backup Exec Snapshot cleanup issue...

Post by flfb »

Currently we use Backup Exec for file level backups on our critical servers and also use Veeam to back up the VM in their entirety. Yes… I do realize that is somewhat redundant. However, since we have been using Veeam several of our Backup Exec jobs have been failing with the following communication error:

“Backup- \\server.domain.com\D:
V-79-57344-34108 - An unexpected error occurred when cleaning up snapshot volumes. Confirm that all snapped volumes are correctly resynchronized with the original volumes.”

It seems that when the Veeam job completes inside the window that the Backup Exec job is running we receive this error. To resolve this issue we have been simply timing the Veeam jobs to run prior or after the Backup Exec jobs. But I am curious as to why this is happening. Any ideas?

And thank you for any suggestions on the matter!
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Re: Backup Exec Snapshot cleanup issue...

Post by Gostev »

Jeremy, unfortunately we are unable to troubleshoot 3rd party backup product failures. You should contact Symantec support and have them investigate this issue with BackupExec failing. Thank you.
flfb
Novice
Full Name: Jeremy Jon Hilsen

Post by flfb »

Anton, Thank you for the reply. I will open an issue with Symantec and see if they can resolve this issue.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

Thank you. If they find there is something they believe we are not doing properly in our product which makes BackupExec to fail, please let us know and will be happy to take a look at this from our side. Although I believe the issue is that Symantec simply does not support scenarios when another product is running (because of locked files or something). Just a guess.
donikatz
Expert

Post by donikatz »

If you are using VSS for both Veeam and Backup Exec (or similar VSS-addressing app) at the same time, you'll have problems. We always schedule our BE jobs to tape after Veeam jobs to disk.