Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
raphael@schitz.net
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times

CBRC digest files backup

Post by raphael@schitz.net »

When backup a VM with CBRC enabled, both vm_name-digest.vmdk and vm_name-digest-flat.vmdk files are not backed up.
Is it an expected behaviour?
VSP 5.5 and VBR 7.0.0.871 here.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: CBRC digest files backup

Post by foggy »

We actually haven't considered backing up these files before, you're the first to rise this question. As far as I can get, CBRC is a sort of dynamic cache for VM disk blocks, which is stored in host's memory and periodically re-calculated, so there's not much sense in backing up this data.

Btw, have you tried to restore VMs that have this feature enabled?
raphael@schitz.net
Enthusiast

Hi foggy,

Actually, the digest file is used by the CBRC cache mecanism so if you restore the "data" vmdk without the digest vmdk, you need to recreate it. Even if the digest is a bit dirty, it could still bring cache hit so it would be nice to back it up. BTW, the digest file path is present in the "data" vmdk file but the VM is able to boot without it, you just have no cache.

I working on a big VDI infrascture to push this feature and size the VM are dedicated per user and backed up with veeam, this could be a NO GO for the customer because each time a VM would be restore, the digest file recreation would be needed.

Thanks for your help
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Seems to make sense in cases where it could allow to avoid digests re-calculation. We will discuss the reasonability of backing up this information. Thanks for the heads up.
raphael@schitz.net
Enthusiast

Thanks foggy. If you need a customer request to speed this up, just let me know ;)
dellock6
Veeam Software
Liked: 1928 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Post by dellock6 »

Just a quick note: VMware has started a new project called VAIO (vSphere APIs for I/O Filtering) that will be the new solution for caching plugins, and seems they will drop at the same time their own CRBC technology, so I'm not so sure we should look into CRBC and instead focus more on the new upcoming technology.
Luca Dell'Oca
Principal EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
https://www.virtualtothecore.com/
vExpert 2011 -> 2022
Veeam VMCE #1
raphael@schitz.net
Enthusiast

Thanks Luca but i heard about CBRC during a vmworld VSAN session so maybe this feature will evolve to save some SSD writes.
raphael@schitz.net
Enthusiast

As expected, CBRC (aka View Storage Accelerator) is still recomended by VMware http://www.vmware.com/files/pdf/techpap ... torage.pdf