Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
intekular
Influencer
Liked: 1 time

Optimizing Tape Backup Jobs with External Backup Software

Post by intekular »

Hi,

I store my Veeam backup repositories on external Exagrid units and then use another product to back that up to tape. Due to the large amount of data (nearly 20tb) the backup to tape job runs for several days and my nightly Veeam jobs make changes to these data volumes meaning the tape job runs even longer.

Is there a recommended set of required files that can be backed up rather than the full+incremental chains? I currently keep 25 copies, weekly full, and incrementals on all other days. The backup to tape job is only for archival purposes.

Thanks.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Optimizing Tape Backup Jobs with External Backup Softwar

Post by foggy »

Am I understanding right, you copy the entire chain (full + all the increments) each time? Why not copy just the newly created backup files each day?
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Also, if you want to copy just the latest full backup, instead of full chain, the following workarounds might be useful: first, second. Thanks.
intekular
Influencer

Post by intekular »

Hi,

I am only wanting to copy the last full backup to tape at the end of each month. It looks like I just need the other backup software to look for the latest .vbk file and send that to tape.

Would that be a correct statement?

Thanks,

Intekular
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

You can try to use Veeam B&R (with one of the workarounds suggested by Vladimir) for tape backups.
intekular
Influencer

Post by intekular »

Thank you. I found a work around that works for me. Just requires some scripting with the other backup software.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Just out of curiosity - the abovementioned workarounds didn't answer your requirements for some reason and you decided to stick to different tape backup software? Thanks.