Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
stanyb
Influencer
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Stanislas Borgilion

Cannot connect to the host's administrative share

Post by stanyb »

Hi,
we're reorganizing our Veeam setup. But we're discovering issues with replication and backup fot the VM's in DMZ. Strange thing is that it does work on the old Veeam server.
the error is, Failed to connect to guest agent. Errors: 'Cannot connect to the host's administrative share. Host: [w.x.y.z]. Account: []. Win32 error:The network path was not found. Code: 53'.
I found kb article http://www.veeam.com/kb1230 which does make sense, but I can't understand why my old Veeam server doesn't have the issue.
The admin shares aren't accessible manually, but this is also the case on the old Veeam server.

The differences between old and new Veeam server, are:
1) New Veeam servers are member of the vCenter, old server is running on a seperate ESXi.
2) New Veeam servers are running Windows Server 2012, old server is running Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1.

Does anyone have an idea.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Cannot connect to the host's administrative share

Post by foggy »

Stanislas, does the job fail over to VIX to deploy Veeam runtime agent into VM or just fails? Have you tried to configure the registry key mentioned in the KB?
stanyb
Influencer

Post by stanyb »

Alexander, thanx for your reply.
Don't think it's the VIX part, I think it just fails.
I'll try the registry key, but doesn't it have impact on all other jobs?
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

I recommend contacting support then, probably this is not the actual reason of the failure as normally the job should attempt using VIX after being unable to connect via network.
stanyb
Influencer

Post by stanyb »

Okey Alexander, thx for your suggestion.
cgeorge
Veeam ProPartner
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Carol George

[MERGED] vm backup domain controller

Post by cgeorge »

Hallo, I have a 2012 domain controller that i want to backup and every time i get the following errors:

I already check out this article but everything they say is ok for my environnement

http://www.veeam.com/kb1230
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello Carol, kindly please avoid posting log snippets, since it’s against our forum rules. As to your issue with backing up a DC VM with AAIP option enabled, then please contact our technical team directly for troubleshooting. Thank you!
jamerson
Veteran
Liked: 24 times
Full Name: Julien

[MERGED] can't backup a VM

Post by jamerson »

hi guys
I have one VM on SSD which I can't back up !
every night it comes back with a error !
is this a Admin right or something else ?
Note : the user we use for the back up is Global admin !

Code: Select all

Processing 'Win7' Error: Failed to connect to guest agent. Errors: 'Cannot connect to the host's administrative share. Host: [192.168.4.5]. Account: []. Win32 error:The network path was not found. Code: 53 Cannot connect to the host's administrative share. Host: [fe80::886b:65e4:e9de:ea15]. Account: []. Win32 error:The network path was not found. Code: 53 Cannot connect to the host's administrative share. Host: [10.0.8.6]. Account: []. Win32 error:The network path was not found. Code: 53 '
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: can't backup a VM

Post by veremin »

Hi, Julien,

So, you're using Application Aware Image Processing, right? Can you please double check the credentials used by this option? Make sure to specify an account with local administrator privileges. Also, you can try to connect from any machine to the remote Admin share of the VM in question and later re-run the job again. Sometimes it helps to get rid of the said errors.

Thanks.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Please also review the knowledge base article mentioned above for possible reasons. If nothing helps, please open a support case for troubleshooting.
jamerson
Veteran
Liked: 24 times
Full Name: Julien

Post by jamerson »

thank you guys
seems Win7 Admin share is not accessible , I tried all but can't get it to work,
I am rebuilding a new VM for this !
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Hi, Julien,

This is the root cause, indeed. What account you're using? Domain administrator? As mentioned in the adjacent thread, the VM might have some problems with domain authentication, so, it might be worth re-joining the said VMs to the domain.

Thanks.
FrozenIT
Novice

Post by FrozenIT » 2 people like this post

One other item to take a look at is the IP addressing on your network card. If you do something similar to what I did where I had two IP's (one for data, one for management network) on the same NIC you won't be able to get to the share and things will break. Throw another nic in the machine (if it's a VM then it's cake) and go that route. Just my $0.02.
abhardwaj
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Ankul Bhardwaj

Post by abhardwaj »

Hi all,

I backup using the VIX API (and enable VSS - Application consistency feature), when I setup the Veeam jobs, I configure the following on the Guest O.S. and backup works :
Option 1 :

1) Disable the UAC (both via GUI and registry key : http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wik ... g-uac.aspx). A restart will be required on the VM once the registry value is changed.

2)Add backup account to the local admin group of the server(s) within computer management.

Option 2 :

Use Domain Administrator username and password (this account will have a SID value of 500) to setup your backup job.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Yes, either disabling UAC or using Domain Administrator account is required to perform application-aware image processing work over VIX.
Summer2016
Influencer
Full Name: Marco

[MERGED] Cannot connect to the hosts administrative share...

Post by Summer2016 »

Hello. I am using veeam backup for my hyper v and vmware guests, which works finde.
I have one Win 10 client (guest), which is not domain joined, I have problems to get a backup of the machine running (file indexing enabled). I use the local admin credentials. ...

Failed to prepare guest for hot backup. Error: Failed to connect to guest agent. Errors: 'Cannot connect to the host's administrative share. Host: [VW10-DL]. Account: [.\locadmin]. Win32 error:Der Netzwerkpfad wurde nicht gefunden. Code: 53 Cannot connect to the host's administrative share. Host: [192.168.0.123]. Account: [.\locadmin]. Win32 error:Der Netzwerkpfad wurde nicht gefunden. Code: 53 '
Error: Failed to connect to guest agent. Errors: 'Cannot connect to the host's administrative share. Host: [VW10-DL]. Account: [.\locadmin]. Win32 error:Der Netzwerkpfad wurde nicht gefunden. Code: 53 Cannot connect to the host's administrative share. Host: [192.168.0.123]. Account: [.\locadmin]. Win32 error:Der Netzwerkpfad wurde nicht gefunden. Code: 53 '

Do you have any idea for me?
DGrinev
Veteran
Liked: 247 times
Full Name: Dmitry Grinev

Re: Cannot connect to the hosts administrative share.....

Post by DGrinev » 1 person likes this post

Hi Marco,

If you don't have direct connection to the backed up VM from the backup server, then one of the reasons could be UAC. It requires built-in local admin account to be used otherwise you will see the error like this.
Please review this thread for additional information and don't hesitate to contact our support team. Thanks!
Summer2016
Influencer
Full Name: Marco

Post by Summer2016 »

Thank you. This helped !