Monitoring and reporting for Veeam Backup & Replication, VMware vSphere and Microsoft Hyper-V in a single System Center Operations Manager Console
Jagadish B
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Jagadish B

Virtual Machine Snapshot Usage Analysis - alerts

Post by Jagadish B »

HI,

I am new to Veeam community.
Recently we had upgraded our Management pack to Veeam MP 6.5, till then we are receiving a lot of alerts with the description "Virtual Machine Snapshot Usage Analysis :-The virtual machine XXX running on host YYY is using snapshot(s). The total size (of all snapshots) is ZZZ MB. Large snapshots files can rapidly fill up datastore space. Such snapshots also take a long time to commit when finally deleted. Confirm that the snapshot(s) for this VM are required, as long-running or large snapshots can adversely impact VM performance and storage usage. "

checked the snapshots of the Virtual machine in the snapshot manager but could not found any snapshots.
I am not sure why Veeam MP is reported these alerts. :roll:

Can any one help me out in this. :?:
sergey.g
Veteran
Liked: 76 times
Full Name: Sergey Goncharenko

Re: Virtual Machine Snapshot Usage Analysis - alerts

Post by sergey.g »

Hi,

Could you check the snapshot size and snapshot age metric for VMs which firing the alert? Some Backup solutions are using snapshots to create a backup of a virtual machine, so you might see spikes in the performance metric indicating the backup operation. You might need to create an override for this monitor to increase thresholds for snapshot size (as far as I understand monitor is alerting only about size of the snapshot, not age). Increase it so, that it doesn't alert on backups but would alert when some snapshot is sitting there for a very long time.

Feel free to ask any other questions.
Thanks.
Jagadish B
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Jagadish B

Re: Virtual Machine Snapshot Usage Analysis - alerts

Post by Jagadish B »

Thank you very much.
I will check with thresholds.
shellamanchez
Lurker