Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
agarcia
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Alfred Garcia

Recreating a Backup Job

Post by agarcia »

I ran a backup job last night (full). I now need to recreate the job. If I give it the same name and point it towards the same destination folder as the original job, will the recreated job run an incremental backup when it is started? In other words, will it continue where the original job left off? If not, is there a way to do this?

Thanks
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2719 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Recreating a Backup Job

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello Alfred,

You won't be able to create another job with the same name. If you want to run incrementals just start the job one more time (unless you've chosen an option to perform Full Backups at Advanced Job Settings - by default this option is disabled), and the job will automatically run an incremental pass.

Thank you!
agarcia
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Alfred Garcia

Post by agarcia »

Vitaliy,

The original job was deleted, but the full backup files still exist.. What I wanted to know was if I create a new job with the same name and the same destination, will it continue with an incremental backup where the original job left off. Or, will the job start off with another full backup and begin as a new job?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2719 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Alfred,

If you have already deleted the job, then you won't be able to continue using that VBK file in the job cycle. Because all the jobs configurations are stored in Veeam SQL DB, and as soon as you delete the job from the console, all the information about the VBK is deleted from SQL DB as well. Every newly created job will have it's own VBK file IDs, so you need to start the backup job from scratch.

However please note that you're still able to do a restore from the VBK file you have, you just only need to Import it to the Veeam console.

Thank you!