Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Cr0nJ0b
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Chron Job

I'm about to give up...

Post by Cr0nJ0b »

Let me say, this is the second time I've tried using VEEAM to do the simplest thing...backup/copy a Datastore. I have a small lab with a small ESX server 5.5 and I just want to copy a 36GB Datastore to a guest. I have tried the Veeam zip, copy and backup and they all say that I have no free space in one of the datastores THAT I"M NOT BACKING UP. the backup or copy fails....Is there some bug that doesn't let you do a VEEAM copy to a guest?

10/21/2014 11:33:02 AM :: Processing 'Windows 8' Error: Insufficient free disk space on production datastore '500GB DataStore on SATA non-RAID'.

In this case the target destination is NOT the 500GB datastore...which is what's frustrating.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2719 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: I'm about to give up...

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Chron,

Do you try to backup all VMs residing on the datastore or you're using file copy jobs to transfer files from that datastore? Can you please tell us what data is located on the datastore in question? For example, VMs on the datastore you're backing up have virtual disks on this datastore as well.

Thanks!
emachabert
Veeam Vanguard
Liked: 168 times
Full Name: Eric Machabert

Post by emachabert » 5 people like this post

I'm sorry but reading the topic title made me thought about this :

don't give up
'cause you have friends
don't give up
you're not the only one
don't give up
no reason to be ashamed
don't give up
you still have us
don't give up now
we're proud of who you are
don't give up
you know it's never been easy
don't give up

Don't worry we'll help you figure out what is hapening.
We need to know exactly what kind of job you are configuring.
Veeamizing your IT since 2009/ Veeam Vanguard 2015 - 2023
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6700 times

Post by Gostev »

This error means that you have less than 2GB of free disk space left on said production datastore. Most likely, this datastore stores one or more virtual disk files, or serves as workingDir for some VM that you are trying to backup. We block VM snapshot creation in this case, otherwise snapshot files growth during backup may fill up the datastore entirely, causing all VMs on datastore to stop. Not only this means "production down" situation, but it is also quite a big pain to clean up afterwards.

The 2GB threshold can be changed via a registry value BlockSnapshotThreshold (DWORD) on the backup server, the default is 2 (in GB). You can try setting it to 1. I would highly NOT recommend doing this though, for the reasons mentioned above... as this increases the chance of running into said issue dramatically.

And kindly please search the forum before creating the new topics in future. Pasting "Insufficient free disk space on production datastore" returns multiple existing topics. In fact, I am going to merge this one into one of those once you read this response, to prevent duplicate discussions.

Thanks!
Cr0nJ0b
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Chron Job

Post by Cr0nJ0b »

Thanks for the fast responses.

The error message is referring to a datastore that I AM NOT backing up from. The scenario is this. I have an ESX server that has 3 datastores A, B and C. DS A has one VM in it Windows 8 (36GB). It's a 2TB store, so it's empty. B is a 500GB DS with lots of files on there...but I'm sure not 500GB...I'm not sure why it's showing full now, but that's work for another day...as I said I'm NOT backing up from that. DS 3 is a small SSD volume that I have a couple VMs on and it's really full, but I don't add much to it, so I'm good.

What I'm trying to do is COPY the VM from DS A to the client workstation running VEEAM. I go through the wizard, select the target DS, the Target file, and the destination folder C:/backup (it has 300GB Free). I click run and get this error.

I tried it using the backup wizard the copy wizard, the veeam zip and it's not working. Very frustrating. I don't see why Veeam is even looking at the 500GB Store. I didn't point to that.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Cr0nJ0b wrote:DS A has one VM in it Windows 8 (36GB).
How many disks and what kind of disks does this VM have? Could you please check the workingDir parameter for this VM?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2719 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Can you please also check if you have any ISO images (residing on DS 3 datastore) attached to that VM?