Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
turnerr12
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Ric Turner

Backing up the Veeam server

Post by turnerr12 »

Hi

We recently had an issue with Veeam B&R 4.1 that gave us the "Failed to enable constraints. One or more rows contain values violating non-null, unique, or foreign-key constraints" error :x
Veeam Support told us we needed to uninstall and reinistall Veeam and also [install SQL Management Station and] delete the Veeam Database. This meant that all the jobs we had set up (60+ - one for each VM so that we can manually run each one) were all wiped out. :cry:
Is there any way that we can backup yp the Veaam server/database so that should this happen again we can roll the DB back to a working state?

Cheers
Ric
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6647 times

Re: Backing up the Veeam server

Post by Gostev »

Ric, yes you can backup Veeam SQL database just like any other SQL database, it is no special. For example, you can use backup capabilities which are built into the SQL management studio. Thank you.
Ace T
Enthusiast
Full Name: Amit Panchal

Post by Ace T »

We use a 3rd party product to backup SQL databases. I have tried to connect to our Veeam servers but am not getting a connection. I have enabled Named Pipes and also TCP/IP Protocols under SQL Server 2005 Config Manager but this has not worked. Can you help ?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Amit, for this issue you may want to open support call with that other backup product vendor instead... I am afraid we will not be able to help you in troubleshooting SQL connectivity issues in 3rd party backup product :wink:
BearHuntr
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times

Post by BearHuntr »

We use the Free version of SQL Backup and FTP from http://sqlbackupandftp.com/. It works great!
murda
Enthusiast
Full Name: murda

Post by murda »

I do it in this way.

I made bat file to dump the sql db towards another disk.

@echo off
net stop MSSQL$VEEAM
robocopy /S /ZB "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.1" "E:\Backup SQL database"
net start MSSQL$VEEAM

After that I made an Rsync schedule to backup this E:\ drive towards my NAS.
I also setup BU EXEC to backup the E:\ drive on this machine.

E drive is also used for Veeam Backups.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Thanks everyone for sharing your own how-tos! This should be very useful for future readers having the same question.
withanh
Veteran
Full Name: Darhl

Post by withanh »

I don't do anything special other than back up my Veeam VM like any other VM. I use SAN/NBD with automatic rollover, you CANNOT back it up in VA mode, it will crash your Veeam server and put the disks into persistent mode and set to ignore changes. Then when you power down the machine it reverts back. I've had this happen to me twice and have lost a month the first time and 2 weeks the second time until I figured out what the issue was.
For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert - Arthur C Clarke's Fourth Law