Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
jbarrow.viracoribt
Expert
Liked: 18 times
Full Name: Jonathan Barrow

CPU Cores on Proxy Question

Post by jbarrow.viracoribt »

Here's a scenario.

We have 1 Proxy Server.

That server has 8 cores, so Veeam configures it for 8 concurrent tasks.

When the jobs are running (we use extreme compression), all 8 CPU's get maxed, as expected.

Due to this, the OS itself gets lethargic which makes sense due to the CPU's working hard on these threads.

If I reduced the 8 concurrent tasks down to 7. Would this in essence leave 1 core unused by Veeam (to run the OS to to speak) or would I still see all 8 cores pegged?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2720 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: CPU Cores on Proxy Question

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Jonathan,

I believe it will still be used. Can you please tell me why you've decided to use extreme compression? It provides small data reduction at the cost of significant CPU load.

Thanks!
jbarrow.viracoribt
Expert
Liked: 18 times
Full Name: Jonathan Barrow

Post by jbarrow.viracoribt »

Just trying to squeeze every bit of data savings I can. I have plenty of CPU horsepower to throw at the proxies but limited storage space. From what I've read, High is 10% more than Normal and Extreme is 3% over High so that's a 13% decrease in my 8.5tb full backup which seems ideal.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Those 3% come at the expense of double CPU load. Unless you are ok with a bit slower backups (due to less parallel tasks) to get that space reduction, high compression level would probably be more reasonable.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2720 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

If you want to save some space on the repository, I would recommend taking a look at the backup mode settings you use and then adjust them. Can you tell me how your backup jobs are configured?