Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
neelyae
Lurker
Liked: never

Backing up from Hyper-V Replica Target

Post by neelyae »

Hi,

Is it possible to do an Offline backup of a Hyper-V target replica VM that is currently receiving replica updates? The VM is powered down, but does have changing data. Since its currently being replicated, would i still have to do a Crash-Consistent backup?
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Backing up from Hyper-V Replica Target

Post by veremin »

Is it possible to do an Offline backup of a Hyper-V target replica VM that is currently receiving replica updates? The VM is powered down, but does have changing data.
You mean you want to backup a replica VM at the same time the replication job is taking place or just to backup a replica VM? Thanks.
neelyae
Lurker
Liked: never

Post by neelyae »

Sorry, i am using Microsoft Hyper-v 2012 to do replication from a source to a target machine. To do Hyper-V 2012 replication, the VM on the target must be powered down. I am wondering if i can do an Offline backup of that VM or, since its VHD file is changing due to the replication, would i still have to do a crash consistent backup?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2720 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

I believe it should be possible to backup of a VM that is writing data to its new checkpoint. Do you see any errors while running your backup job?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

I would recommended to schedule backup of replica VMs at the time when replication is not underway. Just to make sure you always have consistent VM state in the backup.