Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
blan
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Bernard Lan

Rename Veeam Proxy server?

Post by blan »

Is it possible to rename a Veeam v7 proxy server (physical) that also serves as the repository for our Veeam server (VM), without breaking any of the existing backup and backup copy jobs?

I was thinking of taking a snapshot of the Veeam server, renaming the proxy and see how it goes. The Veeam server name is staying the same.

Reason for this is because I had a hard time with backups after upgrading from v6 to 7. After trial an error, a PC was taken from the test lab to serve a proxy/repository and its worked so I decided to keep it on. But since it was only intended to be temporary the PC name wasn't changed at the time.

My initial thoughts are the repositories would have to be re-added. But not sure about what going to happen with the existing backup chains and the backup jobs. And I also have an external USB connected to the proxy for the backup copy.

Thought maybe someone may have some insight or have already done something like this.
edfops
Enthusiast
Liked: 6 times

Re: Rename Veeam Proxy server?

Post by edfops » 1 person likes this post

I believe the process would end up requiring having to re-add the proxy, re-add the repositiories, clone your existing jobs and then map the imported backups (which are actually your original backups) to the cloned jobs.

I see no reason why this should not work, if not a bit tedious.

I am assuming your Veeam Management server (database etc.) is not installed on this server?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2719 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Yes, Eric is correct. I would expect the same steps to be performed if you want to rename both proxy and repository servers.
blan
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Bernard Lan

Post by blan »

Yes edfops, the database is not installed on the proxy, its actually on the Veeam Mgt server. Tedious best describes the process involved w/ having to do this. Was hoping there was a shortcut. Guess not. Thanks for the input.