Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
ceez
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Cesar

install veeam console on workstation in addition to server?

Post by ceez »

hello everyone,
so we're running br7 on a hyper-v vm, we have the configuration backed up elsewhere in case that vm happens to crash and we need to restore the console with all configurations elsewhere.

but I would like to have a 2nd point of management such as my workstation where I can open up the veeam console to manage and monitor everything veeam (heck even veeamONE would be good to do as well).

can I run the installer on my workstation and restore the configuration without causing any problems with the primary vm server running veeam?

thanks!
ceez
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: install veeam console on workstation in addition to serv

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Ceez,

I would not recommend doing that, since both servers will be on the same network, and I'm not sure how you're going to manage the remote installation of the production Veeam backup server by doing that.

If you would like to monitor everything that is going on with Veeam B&R server, then Veeam ONE will be the best fit here.

Thanks!
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

You can also use web-based Enterprise Manager console (comes as a part of Veeam B&R) for basic reporting and management capabilities within your remote Veeam B&R instance.
ceez
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Cesar

Post by ceez »

@Vitaly I would figure that the 2nd installation would ask for the veeam server name/ip and that it would pull up the settings. this goes back to my previous post about using replica to move vm guests to a different volume on the same host. once I failover I need to shutdown my original veeam server and bring up the last replica of it which would not include that failover that was performed after the last replica, make sense? The replica server would come up thinking that the failover hasn't occurred, I guess it wouldnt make a difference and just a matter or deleting the replica job as it would never happen.

We do have Veeam ONE installed on the same veeam server.

@foggy, I tried running Backup Enterprise Manager setup and I get the following on my win8.1 laptop:

Code: Select all

---------------------------
Veeam Backup Enterprise Manager Setup
Exception occurred.
Info: System.ComponentModel.Win32Exception (0x80004005): The configuration data for this product is corrupt. Contact your support personnel

at VmManagedSetupLib.VmMsiCommon.EnumComponents()

at SetupWizard.VmExistingProductsDetector.DetectAndCheckDowngrade()

at SetupWizard.VmWizardEngine..ctor(String strConfigFile, String strSerializeGuid, Boolean& bRunWizard)

at SetupWizard.Program.RunWizard()
OK   
thanks!
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Looks similar to this one. Please contact support for assistance.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Not exactly, you will have two identical servers with the same configuration and job schedule, so for monitoring capabilities I would recommend using Veeam ONE (as you already have it). In v8 we will extend our report list and built-in monitoring capabilities of Veeam ONE for backup infrastructures.