Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
kappa85
Influencer
Liked: never

where to connect tape drive?

Post by kappa85 »

Hi,
our environment is an Hyper-V cluster made of 4 nodes + a SAN connected through a fiber switch, and a physical "backup server" that is a dell poweredge with a lot of disks.
At the moment veeam 8 is installed on a VM in cluster and it is performing backups on a shared volume of the backup server. Now we'd like to add the tape library to the environment for offsite backup location, and configure the appropriate retentions in Veeam. The question is: which machine should the tape be connected to, and using which kind of connection? (scsi, iscsi,....). I obviosuly need this connection to be affordable and to minimize network utilization.

Thank you
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: where to connect tape drive?

Post by foggy »

Veeam B&R v8 is not out yet :), but once it is out you will be able to connect tape library to any Windows server (while with v7 it can be connected to the backup server only).
kappa85
Influencer

Post by kappa85 »

Very good... but which is the best practice you can suggest for my environment?
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

I would connect it directly to the server storing backups, to avoid excessive network traffic.
kappa85
Influencer

Post by kappa85 »

Ok, so you can confirm that with this configuration veeam vm will act only as a "supervisor", and data will flow directly from the backup server to the scsi tape library? No network traffic (or low traffic) will be generated?
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Yes, this is how it is supposed to work.