Real-time performance monitoring and troubleshooting
albertwt
Veeam Legend
Liked: 46 times

Which SQL Server Express is lighter and not resource hogger?

Post by albertwt »

Hi,

I'm about to install Veeam monitor 5 on my laptop with Win XP Pro SP3, which Express Edition is the lighter and does not consume much RAM and disk I/O ?

SQL Server 2005 Express Edition with Advanced Services SP3

SQL Server 2005 Express Edition SP3

SQL Server 2008 Express Edition

SQL Server 2008 Express Edition R2
--
/* Veeam software enthusiast user & supporter ! */
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Which SQL Server Express is lighter and not resource hog

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Albert,

I'm not a great expert in SQL Servers, though something tells me that SQL Server 2005 would consume less resources. Moreover, this SQL Server is shipped together with the default setup.

Thanks.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

Hi Albert,

For light-weight solution, go with SQL Server 2005 SP4 Express for sure, but note that it has limit on max database size of 4GB. Of course, SQL Server 2008 R2 Express is noticeable more "fat", but the good thing about it is that it has limit on max database size of 10GB.

Thanks.
albertwt
Veeam Legend

Post by albertwt »

Vitaliy and Gostev, many thanks for the reply well it seems that 4 GB should be more than enough for me since I run the Veeam free monitor 5 as freeware mode.
--
Alexey D.

Post by Alexey D. »

Please consider than even in free mode, Monitor keeps all the performance data. You just have limited access to it - so if you decide to upgrade to paid, data will still be there.
DataAssure
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Stephen Hui

Post by DataAssure »

I'll be installing Veeam Monitor to monitor over 80 vSphere hosts containing 200+ guest instances, mostly Windows servers. Should I go w/ SQL2K8R2 Express or just standard. How much disk space I need to allocate if I need to keep all data for at least 3 months.
Any best practice guide on large-scale Veeam Monitor design/deployment? TIA
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. » 1 person likes this post

Hello Stephen,

Given the specifics of your deployment, I would definitely go with a SQL Server Standard Edition. Moreover, I would prefer to use a remote SQL Server in order to have best performance possible.

By the way, have you had a chance to check out our Veeam Monitor Database Sizing Calculator, which is available for download from our website?

Thanks.
albertwt
Veeam Legend

Post by albertwt »

Vitaliy S. wrote:Hello Stephen,

Given the specifics of your deployment, I would definitely go with a SQL Server Standard Edition. Moreover, I would prefer to use a remote SQL Server in order to have best performance possible.

By the way, have you had a chance to check out our Veeam Monitor Database Sizing Calculator, which is available for download from our website?

Thanks.
Hi,

The link to the database sizing calculator is now redirected to this page: http://www.veeam.com/one-vmware-hyper-v ... rting.html , so which one is hte correct updated new location ?
--
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. » 1 person likes this post

Hi Albert,

Yes, that database calculator is no longer relevant, almost 4 years have passed since that time, so thank you for using search and posting into existing topic. Can you please tell me what is the size of your environment (N. of VMs, hosts, datastores) and what SQL Server edition do you have installed?

Thanks!
albertwt
Veeam Legend

Post by albertwt »

Vitaliy S. wrote:Hi Albert,

Yes, that database calculator is no longer relevant, almost 4 years have passed since that time, so thank you for using search and posting into existing topic. Can you please tell me what is the size of your environment (N. of VMs, hosts, datastores) and what SQL Server edition do you have installed?

Thanks!
Vitaliy,

Yes, it's been long time since I move into new company who is now using Veeam :-) so I'm back in managing and using this great software again :D
my environment is:

1x VCenter Standard
15 ESXi 5.1u1 hosts

200 VMs
15 SQL Servers ranging from 2005 SP4 up to 2012 SP1 Virtual and Physical
plus I'm going to use VeeamONE to do the monitoring of the VMs instead of using VCenter.

The reason I need thesizing is that because I'm consolidating those SQL Servers, so I need to know roughly the DB LUNs that I need to provision.
--
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Good to know you're back to using Veeam :)

As regards the infrastructure you have, then I would expect the max size of the database to be from 10 GB to 30 GB (depends on how chatty your infrastructure is). And I would definitely recommend to use either SQL Server 2008R2 or 2012 for hosting Veeam ONE database.