Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
guitarfish
Enthusiast
Liked: 11 times

Orphaned VMs after test Instant Recovery test

Post by guitarfish »

I run a weekly Instant VM Recovery of my Veeam backups for my VMs, for verification purposes. (I am using Veeam 7.0 Standard). When I restore, I specify a different name for the VM, eg "SRV1-TEST", and I make sure the NICs are not connected to the production network. When the restore completes, I boot the VM. Once I reach the logon screen, I shut down the VM and finish the Instant Restore. In the Veeam log, it shows "Removing VM from inventory", and everything appears to complete successfully.

Now, when I go in to vSphere 5.5 web client, I see the restored SRV1-TEST (orphaned) list as a VM. When I used the Windows (thick) client, I don't see the orphans listed. So I have to manually remove the orphan from inventory. Has anyone else experienced this? There's a few things I've noticed that show up in the web client that I never saw in the thick client, and this is an example of one.

I just want to make sure there isn't a deeper problem I need to investigate.

Thanks
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Orphaned VMs after test Instant Recovery test

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Can you please tell me where do you see orphaned VMs names? When connecting to the vCenter Server or ESXi host directly? Do you have vCenter Server added to the backup console?
guitarfish
Enthusiast

Post by guitarfish »

The orphaned names show up in vCenter, listed in the "Virtual Machines" section. I see them when I connect via the vSphere Web Client.
I do not have vCenter Server added to the backup console.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

So this could be the reason for this behavior. When you publish VMs directly to the ESXi hosts, these VMs also appear in the vCenter Server. If you don't want to see orphaned VMs in the vSphere Client you should unpublish these VMs via vCenter Server connection.

Actually, you can do a quick test by yourself - create any temp VM on the ESXi host directly, make sure it is visible in the vCenter Server while connecting with vSphere Client, and then remove the VM from the host directly (not using vCenter Server connection). In this case you should observe the same result as you see with IR process.
guitarfish
Enthusiast

Post by guitarfish »

I'll test this today, but I think you hit the nail on the head. Thank you very much!!