Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
bazzajok
Influencer
Liked: never

Full Backup After Friday Incremental

Post by bazzajok »

Hi,

I'd like to create daily incrementals Sunday to Friday and then perform an active full straight after the Friday increment finishes.

Can I do this bit keep all the backup files in the same chain?

Thanks

Lee
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Re: Full Backup After Friday Incremental

Post by Shestakov »

Hi Lee,

When you schedule Active full backup, the created full backup will be used as a starting point for subsequent increments, however all increments will be preserved according to your retention policy settings. So the best configuration in your case is incrementals from Sunday to Friday + Active Full on Saturdays.

Thanks.
bazzajok
Influencer

Post by bazzajok »

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

That is the way we have things setup at the minute but I'd like to kick off the active full on the Friday after the incremental has finished so we have something committed to disk.

Is this possible?

Thanks
Lee
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov »

Lee,
Technically you can set Active Full backup job as a post-job activity of Friday`s incremental job, but I would suggest to make just active full on Fridays instead of making incremental+active full one by one.
Do you have any specific reason to have incremental backup right before the Active full backup?
Thanks.
bazzajok
Influencer

Post by bazzajok »

Hi,

Really just so we have a backup committed to disk that can be picked up by the copy job to our DR site. The Active Full takes 11 hours to complete.

Thanks

Lee
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov »

I`m a bit confused here: don`t you copy to DR site all backups?

Or your plan is to copy to DR site only incrementals? If so, as I wrote before, once you do active full, that backup becomes a starting point for all successive incrementals until new full backups is made. In this case, you need to copy to DR the full backup to be able to copy incrementals.
Thanks.
bazzajok
Influencer

Post by bazzajok »

Hi,
Yes all backups are copied to the DR site using a backup copy job.
My point is that this process doesn't happen until the active full completes so I'd like to do the incremental backup which will complete much faster and be copied to the DR site. I then know I have good backups for the weekend where I can create an Active Full (takes 11 hrs). This is then also copied to the DR site on completion and archived to tape.
Thanks
Lee
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov »

I see your point now.
What I can suggest again is to consider scheduling Active Full backups on Saturdays, so on Friday you have the increment done and copied to the DR.
If it doesn`t work for you for some reason, and you want Active Full backup to start right after incremental, you can set it as a post-job activity for Fridays` backup incrementals.
Thanks.
bazzajok
Influencer

Post by bazzajok »

Silly question but how do I do this?

Do I create a new job that isn't scheduled that is set to do an active full only on a Friday and add this as a post job activity?

If so, how do I ensure the full backup created is placed in the same folder in the repository as the increments so everything is together?

Sorry if this is a strange question!

Thanks

Lee
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov »

Lee,
You need to create Active Full backup job, disable "Run the job automatically" checkbox, copy Command line content of the job`s Summary step.
In the existing job go to Advanced settings, set to run post job activity every Friday, and paste the command line`s content to the Run the following command field.
Also, please read this post about job chaining to be aware of possible issues and note that the scenario is not the best practice.