PowerShell script exchange
ekisner
Expert
Liked: 34 times
Full Name: Erik Kisner

Restore Point Storage Location

Post by ekisner »

Looking at Get-VBRRestorePoint, it returns all restore points... which is good... but I'm interested in where they are. I see a storage ID, which is also good, but a GUID isn't very informative.

How can I identify where a VBR Restore Point is stored? Is there a command, or table within the database which has a friendly name mapped to the GUID?

Specifically, I am looking to identify the most recent backup to disk date, and the most recent backup to disk on tape date, as defined by the CreationTime.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Restore Point Storage Location

Post by veremin »

Can you tell me whether the following script works for you:

Code: Select all

$Backup = Get-VBRBackup -Name "Backup Job 1"
$Backup | Get-VBRRestorePoint | Sort creationtime -Descending | select {$_.name}, {$_.CreationTime}, {$_.getrepositoryPath()}
Thanks.
ccatlett1984
Enthusiast
Liked: 9 times
Full Name: Chris Catlett

Post by ccatlett1984 »

I'm looking for a way to filter the results to only show me restore points that made it to tape.
What attribute can I look at to determine restore points on tape?

The below code block gives me all restore points, I just need to be able to filter on points on tape.

foreach($vm in (Find-VBRViEntity))
{Get-VBRRestorePoint -Name $vm.name | Sort-Object $_.creationtime -Descending | export-csv $env:userprofile\desktop\Veeam_restore_points_on_tape.csv -notypeinformation -append}
tsightler
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2843 times
Full Name: Tom Sightler

Post by tsightler » 1 person likes this post

Something like this should do it:

Get-VBRRestorePoint -Name $vm.name | ?{$_.GetBackup().JobType -eq "VmTapeBackup"}
There may be another/better way, but that's what came to mind immediately and a quick test seemed to indicate it works.
ekisner
Expert
Liked: 34 times
Full Name: Erik Kisner

[MERGED] Tape Recovery Points

Post by ekisner »

I've been looking, and I don't see any way to get a list of restore points from the tape jobs via powershell.

I'm going to create something of a dynamic reversed Gantt chart, showing all of the restore points in relation to their retention schedule. The Backup To Disk stuff is easy - I just pull the job settings to get the number of restore points, the schedule, and then I can compute when the restore point will get rolled in.

The tape jobs, however, I cannot seem to find any way to pull the restore points.

I am specifically interested in pulling a specific machine from a job.

For example, if "DC01" is covered in job "Domain Controllers" and "Domain Controllers to Tape", then within the "Backups" section I can go into "Disk", pull up the properties for "Domain Controllers", choose DC01, and see all of the restore points. This part is simple, I've already got it implemented.

Now, I just need to implement it for tape.

I'm not afraid to pull it from the database directly (although dreading crawling through the database to find the data), but I'd much rather use the API instead of wonder if my script will still run after an update is released to VBR.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

I'm wondering whether the provided scripts work for you. Thanks.