Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
bobafett
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Boba Fett

VM Backup Over WAN Possible with Enterprise Plus?

Post by bobafett »

Hi all,

Firstly, apologies for the basic question - I'm a newbie to VEEAM evaluating it with a view to offering it to our customers. I've checked the sticky FAQs post and the WAN Acceleration is the only section with no Q/As so here I am!

In summary, we're wondering if the Standard and Enterprise versions of VEEAM which don't specify 'WAN Acceleration' as a feature are capable of backing up VMs over 2MB DIA WAN if we assume that around 1TB of uncompressed data will change between backups that occur every 48 hours.

Sorry - I know there's a lot of unknowns, I'm just trying to determine if its a 'No way!', 'Possibly' or only with 'Wan Acceleration' ballpark!

Thanks

Bob
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Re: VM Backup Over WAN Possible with Enterprise Plus?

Post by Shestakov » 1 person likes this post

Hi Bob,
You are right, WAN accelerator is available only in Enterprise Plus edition.
Technically even without WAN acceleration it is possible to store backups offsite, reasonability depends on additional factors.
However, if you need to send 1TB over 2MByte/sec link, it will take around 139 hours = 5.5 days assuming no data transmission faults or interrupts. So, some data compression or better throughput is needed.
bobafett
Novice

Post by bobafett »

Sorry - I meant 1GB! :-)
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2720 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Even if we are talking about 1 GB of changes with unstable link, WAN accelerators with resume functionality would be a way to go.
chrisdearden
Veteran
Liked: 226 times
Full Name: Chris Dearden

Post by chrisdearden »

Vitaliy S. wrote:Even if we are talking about 1 GB of changes with unstable link, WAN accelerators with resume functionality would be a way to go.
Depends on how bad the line is ? Doesn't WAN accel deliver 1GB payloads at a time ? If the line is so bad you can't get 1GB over it, then you would have a much larger issue.
tsightler
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2843 times
Full Name: Tom Sightler

Post by tsightler »

Couple of things. First, it's important to remember that WAN acceleration only applies to Backup Copy jobs (and with v8 replication), so you'll need to take local backups and then backup copy them with WAN acceleration. That being said, 1GB might transfer even over a 2Mb link even without WAN acceleration.

Regarding data transfer, I recently worked with a client that was getting around 6-9GB of change each day in their local backup and they wanted to get that data across a T1 that had other traffic as well so they could only commit 1Mb/s to the transfer. We implemented WAN acceleration and the amount of data transferred each night was reduced to only around 700MB, so the entire transfer took less than two hours each night even with the very limited bandwidth.
bobafett
Novice

Post by bobafett »

Wow - thanks everyone for the advice, much appreciated. I'm hopeful that with data deduplication (and I'm assuming there'll be some basic compression), this should work for our needs.

Again, much appreciated.