Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
hardbern
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Bernhard Retierts

veeam explorer for exchange error when restoring single item

Post by hardbern »

hello !
i'm currently testing veeam backup & restore, so many things are new to me. when i try to restore a single item with the explorer for exchange, an error message is displayed: "Cant' discover exchange server" ... it seems the reason is that my exchange server's dns name differs to the name of the virtual machine in vCenter (vmware vsphere 5.0). restore by sending the item by email works fine. so now to my question: how can i setup a backup job for exchange (or other servers) to use the virtual server's dns names instead of their names in vCenter (there are some of them) ? or am i totally wrong and the error is caused by another reason ?

i appreciate any hint

greetings from vienna/austria
bernhard
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2720 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: veeam explorer for exchange error when restoring single

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello Bernhard,

The name of the Exchange server can differ from the VM name you use, so it seems like your problem is unrelated to this, it could be a DNS issue. Can you please tell me where you're trying to restore the Exchange item to? To the original location? Have you tried using "Restore to..." option instead?

Thank you!
hardbern
Novice

Post by hardbern »

thank you for your quick reply!

yes, i try to restore the item to the original location , i.e. i use veeam explorer - restore - restore to : .... original mail address (in this case my mail address that is shown in the dropdown menu). are there any logs or events i can look for ?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2720 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

If you want to investigate the logs, then it would be better to contact our technical team for assistance with this. As to my initial question, can you please tell me what happens if you specify IP address of your Exchange server or FQDN address on this step of the wizard > Restoring Folders and Items?
hardbern
Novice

Post by hardbern »

ok .. this worked. i only tried the second option where the recipient address is already shown (without the wizard).. this did not work, although the help text tells that this option is for restoring to the original location.

thank you very much for your help!
mwkirk
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Mike Kirkpatrick

[MERGED] Can't discover Exchange Server

Post by mwkirk »

When trying to restore directly to an Exchange 2013 server I get an error "Can't Discover Exchange Server". I can restore to a PST file with no problem. Any quick fix for this?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Mike, how do you specify the Exchange server address? Have you tried any alternatives (DNS, IP, FQDN)?