Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
kewnev
Enthusiast
Liked: 22 times
Full Name: Nev

Veeam 8 & Encryption - thank you!

Post by kewnev » 1 person likes this post

Just want to say a big thanks to Veeam for adding encryption to Veeam B&R v8! Have just downloaded, installed, configured it (very simple), and running the job now.

We need to encrypt our rotated offsite backups. I had previously been using TrueCrypt, which sometimes failed to mount the container, or hung. Then the makers of TrueCrypt came out and said that their product was unsafe to use. So I switched to BitLocker. To be able to automate the process you need to use the "auto mount" feature. It was good in theory, but in practice the auto mounting worked intermittently. Sometimes it would only auto mount when you clicked on the drive in windows explorer.

Now that Veeam has built-in encryption it is going to save me massive headaches and much time! I'm also thankful that it is supported in the Standard edition (Enterprise edition has lost password recovery, but we can live without that).

PS I notice there is now a "VBK Extract" utility. Nice! Unsure if it supports encrypted VBKs, but will test.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6724 times

Re: Veeam 8 & Encryption - thank you!

Post by Gostev »

You're welcome! Thank you for your kind words.

Actually, we have had this extract utility as a command line tool for at least a few years (since v3 I believe). Then, we have added optional UI front end for it in v7, and yes - it was enhanced in v8 to support encrypted and standalone backups. See the very last feature of the What's New in v8 document ;)