Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
mcdonaldb
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Brian McDonald

Version 8 Backup Times

Post by mcdonaldb »

I upgraded my backup server to version 8 today, and now all my backup job times have gone way up, i'm not sure what happen, but every single job is taking much longer than they ever have. Is anyone else seeing this impact since upgrading?
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Version 8 Backup Times

Post by veremin »

Can you provide your full bottleneck statistics (both: current and previous ones) or information about "suspicious" step that nowadays is taking longer that it used to? Thanks.
joergr
Veteran
Liked: 39 times
Full Name: Joerg Riether

Post by joergr »

Plus, please check history and please report ANY differences, bottlenecks, transfer rate, etc. Please report ANYTHING which is different.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

Interestingly, another part of the customers who have upgraded are reporting significant improvement in backup times instead, so at least this tells me that the issue is not global > Post v8 Upgrade Observations

@Lars good catch, looks like this is the issue then - we need to see what the job was doing for so long before it actually started copying virtual disk data (this part actually looks to go faster with v8 in your case, than it used to in v7).
joergr
Veteran
Liked: 39 times
Full Name: Joerg Riether

Post by joergr »

@All: Please clarify backup mode. Are you all using direct SAN mode? If SAN - Please also give info what SAN you use.
mcdonaldb
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Brian McDonald

Post by mcdonaldb »

I backup Hyper-V host so i dont believe direct SAN is an option for me, my backups all go to a synology NAS that i have setup as a linux repository. I am going to run all my jobs again tonight and verify its not a one-off.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

Ahh, so you are talking about Hyper-V backup? I did not realize that. Let me move this topic into the correct forum then, since you are OP. If anyone above has issues with VMware backup performance, please post it into the VMware specific v8 performance topic linked in my previous post. Thanks!
tcross
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Tim Cross

Post by tcross »

I am having the exact same issue with Hyper-V backups in V8 compared to V7. The time has added at least another 10Minutes to each backup compared to before.
tcross
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Tim Cross

Post by tcross »

tcross wrote:I am having the exact same issue with Hyper-V backups in V8 compared to V7. The time has added at least another 10Minutes to each backup compared to before.
To be clear the problem is backups are now sitting for at least 10 minutes with messages similar to "Hard disk 1 (0.0 KB) 0.0 KB read at 0 KB/s" Then after some time it will all of a sudden start processing the drive without issue at decent speeds.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

tcross wrote:To be clear the problem is backups are now sitting for at least 10 minutes with messages similar to "Hard disk 1 (0.0 KB) 0.0 KB read at 0 KB/s" Then after some time it will all of a sudden start processing the drive without issue at decent speeds.
Log files should tell the particular operation the job is stuck on at that moment. Please contact technical support to get assistance in reviewing them.
b.lagace
Enthusiast
Liked: 17 times
Full Name: Bjorn Lagace

[MERGED] Post v8 Upgrade Observations

Post by b.lagace »

Hi All,

I wanted to share my observations from the V8 upgrade as well.
Our environment exists out of Hyper-V Clusters (3 with CSV's and one with SMB 3.0 share).
I use incremental backup method with weekly synthical full + transform

I have noticed that :

- the first incremental after the upgrade TRIPLED in size !
=> second incremental still shows a 20% larger incremental file

- the processing speed stays the same, but the duration of the job went from (cluster3) 2 hours to 3 hours for the incremental part.
=> i'm guessing the time to create the snapshot and the preparation went up

- the time to do a transformation went from 2 hours to 4 hours

- the new option 'Volume snapshots -> allow processing of multiple VM's with a single snapshot' doesn't work
=> cluster1 has two CSV's, so in the job i'd expect to see two snapshots...but I see a snapshot on every VM happen.
=> unless there's a condition that states that the vm's in the same volume also need to sit on the same host in order to be processed together.
=> cluster2 has three csv's -> job just stays at 0% 'waiting for infrastructure' ...I waited 8 hours :-) / testing again without the option.

Also a reported bug from myself regarding layout when you go to 'virtual machine' tab hasn't been solved, while it was accepted and expected to be.

Looks like i'll be very busy with support this week.

Regards,
Bjorn
b.lagace
Enthusiast
Liked: 17 times
Full Name: Bjorn Lagace

Post by b.lagace »

Update :

My problem with cluster2 'waiting for infrastructure' got solved by restarting the service.
Somewhere during a backup there was a connection loss with a hostserver.
Due to this, the 'resource in use' counter stayed at one, even after the job was finished.
By restarting the service, it got resetted.

On the other hand, I discovered a new more blocking bug.

We have one specific Hyper-V cluster that uses an SMB 3.0 share to host the vhd's.
Backups run fine, but if I want to restore I get the message "There is CSV for clusterx" and it fails.
To start, I think there's a error in the message and it should state "There is no CSV for clusterx".
For the VmWare people (99% of the Veeam user probably), CSV is a Clustered Shared Volume used by Microsoft to host the virtuals disks + config.
So I think they added some kind of check and maybe 'forgot' about SMB 3.0.

Ticket has been logged and i'll update here as soon as I know more.

Bjorn