Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
cffit
Veteran
Liked: 35 times
Full Name: Christensen Farms

VEEAM not truncating Exchange 2013 logs

Post by cffit »

Support Case Open: 00677122

Used VEEAM BR with Exchange 2010 just fine for years. Now just migrated to Exchange 2013 and the logs are not truncating anymore. I couldn't figure out what was using up all the space on my Exchange server and then found this.

I have application aware processing enabled
I have an account with local admin rights specified and I have clicked the Test button to ensure it has correct access
The backup job finishes fine each day
In the details of the backup job, there is a line that states "Truncating Exchange transaction logs" and it has a green checkmark by it

Everything seems setup correct, but I have several weeks of logs sitting around still and taking up about 80GB of space. I'm not sure if this was working at one time and then stopped working or if it never worked.
cffit
Veteran

Re: VEEAM not truncating Exchange 2013 logs

Post by cffit »

After more looking, I think this started after I installed Exchange 2013 CU6.

I see this in the event viewer at the time the backup says it's deleting logs:

The Microsoft Exchange Replication service VSS Writer encountered an exception in function Microsoft::Exchange::Cluster::ReplicaVssWriter::CReplicaVssWriterInterop::BackupCompleteTruncateLogsComponents. HResult -3. Exception Microsoft.Mapi.MapiExceptionCallFailed: MapiExceptionCallFailed: Unable execute Truncate on snapshot. (hr=0x80004005, ec=1295)
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

Yep. This means Veeam still triggers the log truncation properly as before, but Exchange fails to execute it.
cffit
Veteran

Post by cffit » 1 person likes this post

The issue was I had dismounted the original database Exchange 2013 created at install. I had planned to delete it after it was dismounted for a while. Having this database dismounted prevented the process for the logs to be truncated after backup. I couldn't find anything on this, but that's what my findings were. Once I mounted the database, the following night the backups ran and the logs were truncated. I dismounted the next night and had the issue come back.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

Thank you VERY MUCH for updating this topic with the resolution, Christensen.