Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
mtoms
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Matt Toms

New Deployment Topology recommendations

Post by mtoms »

Hi All,

I am hoping someone would be able to put forward some recommended deployment options based on my current scenario.

I have my primary site A (production environment) and site B (DR Site) and I was wondering how best to implement Veeam. I would like to have local backup in the production site and then replication to the DR Site. At the moment I have a single physical server in Site A dedicated to running Veeam B&R but no jobs setup as yet. I intend to have a second physical server at the DR site to manage the replication jobs.

With a dedicated physical server at each site would these be sufficient to manage/process the jobs or would it make sense to have an additional VM server running either the backup proxy or wan acceleration?

Does anyone else have a suggestion on best practice implementation, aside from what I have read in the Veeam Technical Documentation.

TIA
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: New Deployment Topology recommendations

Post by foggy »

Hello, Matt. Having virtual proxy residing on one of the hosts with access to the datastores where backed up VMs reside is good from the performance perspective (hotadd mode can be used). All other roles can be fulfilled by the dedicated physical server.

Also, if you add the same server as proxy server in both Veeam B&R instances, keep in mind that in this case the number of concurrent tasks per proxy will be counted within each backup server independently. So plan your backup load accurately, especially if parallel processing is used.

Other than that I see you have pretty good understanding on Veeam B&R best practices.
mtoms
Influencer

Post by mtoms »

Hi Foggy,

Thanks for the quick response, most appreciated!

So should I have a VM at each site setup as a proxy?

Will one at each site be sufficient? or would it be best to have 2 at Site A (one for local backup jobs and the other for replication) and 1 at Site B?

Thanks

Matt
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Depends on the backup load you're going to assign to it and available backup window. You said nothing about the size of your environment, so I can hardly tell whether a single proxy is enough.

Btw, what kind of source storage do you have? Are you able to utilize direct SAN to retrieve VM data from it?
mtoms
Influencer

Post by mtoms »

Ok so Site A consists of the following:

12 Hosts
35 VMs
HP P2000 G3 FC SAN
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

With setup of this size, you can have the dedicated physical server act as a proxy server with direct access to the source VM data and just keep virtual proxy for hotadd restores (in those cases, where direct SAN restore is not possible).

For replication, consider the replica from backup functionality that allows to have both backup and replica of the same VM without the need to touch production VMs twice. Thanks.
mtoms
Influencer

Post by mtoms »

Thanks Foggy,

With regards to the backup and replication jobs, is there any advice on how these should be setup?

Is it best to have multiple jobs (one per VM) or group all VMs under a single job?
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Please, take a look at this thread; should clarify the situation for you. Thanks.