Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
LiamGP
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Liam Grant

v8 NFR Licences

Post by LiamGP »

Hello,

Will there be NFR licences made available for v8 for home labs etc?

I was at VeeamON and did the v8 training and now that the software is out, I'd like to play with it at home and practice for the forthcoming v8 exam.

We're not ready to upgrade to v8 in my company environment yet so the only access I have to it will be via my home lab. I will set it up with a trial licence for now but wondered if there will be a longer term licence available?

Thanks,

Liam
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6647 times

Re: v8 NFR Licences

Post by Gostev »

Hi, Liam. I am not aware of any NFR plans. But why not just use your company's v8 license for your home lab? Thanks.
LiamGP
Novice

Post by LiamGP »

Hi Gostev,

Yeah, I had contemplated that, but wasn't sure on licence terms etc. If Veeam has no issue with me using my company licences in my home lab then I will just do that then!

Thanks,
Liam
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Just don't tell anyone ;)

Seriously though, while I have no idea about our license terms either, I just cannot see Veeam chasing you for using legally obtained license for testing purposes outside of your production environment. Moreover, I do hope that most of our customers have a test B&R deployment like that for test driving new product versions and patches before putting them into production... and it should not matter where such a test environment is located physically.
LiamGP
Novice

Post by LiamGP »

Haha! I'll just keep quiet on it then! :P

Yeah, I guess not, the lawyers would need to be pretty mad to chase things like that!
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

I've checked with our contracts manager, and it appears there are no limitations on how you can use the license for internal business purposes as long as you are using it on your own data (and not a 3rd party data).
In Veeam’s EULA, we do not specifically state that customer may use their production license in a test environment or in its production environment. The license granted by Veeam is solely for end user’s internal business purposes for the management and processing of its own data whether in its test environment or production environment so long as it is for the customer’s own data not the data of any third parties.
That said, I've also checked with our marketing, and there are plans to launch v8 NFR promotion later as well.
LiamGP
Novice

Post by LiamGP »

Ah cool, thanks for checking on both points, very helpful! :D