Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
ChoicesPSP
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Choices PSP

Monthly Full Backup With 6 Month Retention

Post by ChoicesPSP »

I have Veeam 8 and I'd like to create a monthly full backup of that Data drive of my file server. I'm a BackupExec guy, so Veeam options are still new to me. I understand you can create the backup job and use Powershell to get a "true end of month" rather than "Last Friday, Last Saturday, Last Sunday....of the month, but for now I'm fine with using the options available in the GUI. Though it would be nice if they would add "End of month" to the GUI!

So what are my best options for a full backup of the data drive with a 6 job retention?

Reverse Incremental or Incremental?

What do I need to set to make it a full backup when the job runs once a month?

Thanks!
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Re: Monthly Full Backup With 6 Month Retention

Post by Shestakov » 1 person likes this post

Hello.
For now you can schedule the exact last day of the month for backup only in job scheduling section. So, the option is to take Active full backup + incremental every last day of a month and to keep 6 backups. You can use both Forward and reverse incremental jobs for that. Reversed is more preferable in terms of used repository space, forward is going to take less operation time.
Does it work for you?
If no, and you need active full to be performed each time the job starts, it can be achieved with help of Windows Task Scheduler.
We are adding the feature of "true end of month" to GUI to the next minor release.
Thanks.
ChoicesPSP
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Choices PSP

Post by ChoicesPSP »

Any ETA on the minor release with the "true end of month" backup option? Thanks!
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6700 times

Post by Gostev »

No ETA yet. We have just released v8 earlier this month...