Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
ianmstewart
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Ian Stewart

Backups using old snapshot

Post by ianmstewart »

Hi There,

I'm using Veeam Backup & Replication 3 and am using it to backup an ESXi server.

I've just tried to do a file level restore however all my backups seem to be of a snapshot one of the sysadmins took 3 weeks ago!

Help!!!!

Thanks in advance

Ian
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Re: Backups using old snapshot

Post by Gostev »

Hello, this is actually documented in the release notes. This happens when you are using network backup mode, and backing up VM that has existing snapshots. You should either change backup mode (other backup modes consolidate snapshot data during backup), or remove snapshots from the source VM; and then backup the VM again. After that, FLR will start opening latest VM state. I would advice to remove snapshot from the source VM in all cases, because it is generally considered bad practice to run VM of snapshot.

If you need to restore files from the current backup, you would have to restore entire VM, as for your current backup FLR will always open VM state before the snapshot was taken.
ianmstewart
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Ian Stewart

Re: Backups using old snapshot

Post by ianmstewart »

thanks for the speedy response!!!

I was thinking that so have started a full server restore. Thanks for the good advice, I'll be sure to do that in future.