Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
verre
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: Valentino Erre

How VBR communicates with agents inside vms

Post by verre »

Hi everybody, I'm trying to check (with the "Test Now" button) the Windows credentials I've provided for "application-aware processing" and "guest file system indexing" in the "New Backup Job" wizard and I discovered something that leave me puzzled: if the Veeam VBR Server is connected in the same network of the windows virtual machines, it works perfectly... but if it isn't on the same network...it doesn't work! I knew that Veeam VBR (or the proxy) can communicate with VIX API...doesn't it??

Another question: if I don't check "Enable application-aware processing" can I use in a second time the Veeam Explorer (it is an Exchange virtual machine) or the check is mandatory if I want to explore the application's database directly from backup file.

Thank you a lot!
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: How VBR communicates with agents inside vms

Post by foggy »

verre wrote:Hi everybody, I'm trying to check (with the "Test Now" button) the Windows credentials I've provided for "application-aware processing" and "guest file system indexing" in the "New Backup Job" wizard and I discovered something that leave me puzzled: if the Veeam VBR Server is connected in the same network of the windows virtual machines, it works perfectly... but if it isn't on the same network...it doesn't work! I knew that Veeam VBR (or the proxy) can communicate with VIX API...doesn't it??
Correct, credentials are checked both over network and over VIX.
verre wrote:Another question: if I don't check "Enable application-aware processing" can I use in a second time the Veeam Explorer (it is an Exchange virtual machine) or the check is mandatory if I want to explore the application's database directly from backup file.
No, it is not mandatory. In order to be able to use Veeam Explorer for Exchange, you can manually point it to the EDB file restored via Veeam B&R FLR.
verre
Enthusiast

Post by verre »

foggy wrote: Correct, credentials are checked both over network and over VIX.
Ok thank you... so there is no justifications about what happens to me: with Network it works but without Network it doesn't work!
foggy wrote: No, it is not mandatory. In order to be able to use Veeam Explorer for Exchange, you can manually point it to the EDB file restored via Veeam B&R FLR.
Okok wait... Veeam Explorer for Exchange ISN'T the FLR restore. I was asking if, in order to use the Explorer DIRECTLY to the backup file (without powering on any virtual machine), I have to check the option mentioned.

I also know I can explore the backup with windows file explorer and then point the EDB file and open it with the Veeam Explorer for Exchange...but I wanted to open the Exchange DB directly from backup.

Thank you again
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy » 1 person likes this post

verre wrote:Ok thank you... so there is no justifications about what happens to me: with Network it works but without Network it doesn't work!
How about the actual job, have you tried to run it? Does it work for VMs from other networks?
verre wrote:Okok wait... Veeam Explorer for Exchange ISN'T the FLR restore. I was asking if, in order to use the Explorer DIRECTLY to the backup file (without powering on any virtual machine), I have to check the option mentioned.

I also know I can explore the backup with windows file explorer and then point the EDB file and open it with the Veeam Explorer for Exchange...but I wanted to open the Exchange DB directly from backup.
I was talking about the ability to mount the backup file via FLR session and open EDB file in Veeam Explorer for Exchange (directly from backup file, without powering on any VM). This is possible without application-aware image processing enabled. With application-aware image processing enabled, Veeam B&R will automatically detect Exchange on the VM and you will be able to open databases using the corresponding backup context menu item, without the need to browse to the actual database files.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6693 times

Post by Gostev »

verre wrote:I also know I can explore the backup with windows file explorer and then point the EDB file and open it with the Veeam Explorer for Exchange...but I wanted to open the Exchange DB directly from backup.
The latter requires application-aware processing enabled. But actual recovery happens directly from backup in both cases (without powering on any virtual machine).
verre
Enthusiast

Post by verre »

foggy wrote: I was talking about the ability to mount the backup file via FLR session and open EDB file in Veeam Explorer for Exchange (directly from backup file, without powering on any VM). This is possible without application-aware image processing enabled. With application-aware image processing enabled, Veeam B&R will automatically detect Exchange on the VM and you will be able to open databases using the corresponding backup context menu item, without the need to browse to the actual database files.
Thank you, now it's clear!

...and about the other question, I'll keep you updated!