Monitoring and reporting for Veeam Data Platform
COE_Jim
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Jim Milano

Can manually resolved alarms be "Unresolved"

Post by COE_Jim »

I manually "resolved" a "Guest disk space" alarm in Veeam One and it has not tripped an alarm since. Have I permanently overridden this alarm? The condition still exists and I'd like to begin receiving the alarms again. I have not excluded the alarm or the guest. I've created a custom alarm for guest disk space and assigned it to this guest only and it is not tripping an alarm either even though the conditions have been met.
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Re: Can manually resolved alarms be "Unresolved"

Post by Shestakov »

Hello Jim,
Could you provide your rule parameters and current state for me to explain the behavior?
Probably, the Guest disk space parameter decreased under the warning condition(10% by default) and since it`s say, between 5% and 10% (default warning values), you don`t receive any other alarms.
Thanks.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2720 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

In any case, resolving alarm does not suppress alarm for future triggering. I would recommend to check your defined thresholds and contact technical team if everything looks good. BTW, are you using Veeam ONE v8 or v7?
COE_Jim
Novice

Post by COE_Jim »

Thanks for replies. I'm running Veeam ONE v8. Just getting familiar with the app. I'm using the default Guest disk space rule and it's applied to the entire virtual infrastructure. It's a Relative type and triggers Warning if Guest free disk space drops below 10%, Error if below 5%. When I first connected to VMware I had 3-4 guests that had tripped the Guest disk space alarm. I resolved most of them by extending the disks or deleting some stuff but one server I just manually marked as Resolved. That VM still has one disk that has less than 1% free space but it hasn't tripped an alarm since I marked it Resolved. I created a custom rule with the same thresholds and assigned it directly to the guest in question. It hasn't tripped a single alarm since I built it. I had a second drive on that VM fill completely last night and it didn't trip either alarm.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Does the newly created alarm work for other VMs or do you see the same behavior across all VMs where you have resolved this alarm manually?
jholtke
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Jon Holtke

Post by jholtke »

I have a similar possibly related situation. I updated from v7 to v8 a couple of days ago and as soon as I did a 'Guest Disk Space' alarm that was triggered in the "Warning" state prior to update resolved itself showing "All alarm metrics are back to normal" in the history. I did nothing to any guest disks on this VM and the error condition still exists but the alarm will not trigger again. On the alarm history it shows the previous warning state with the detail "Amount of free disk space "H:\" (10%) is below a defined threshold (10%). Current free disk space is 19.25 GB." The alarm settings are the defaults, Warning below 10%, Error below 5%, Delay 5 minutes, Assignment Virtual Infrastructure, Action send email to default, and no suppression. There are also no exclusions on that alarm.

One thing that caught my eye is that on the "Guest Disk Space" alarm details in the 'Knowledge' section is says "Guest OS volume is low on available guest disk space". Does this mean that this predefined alarm is only going to monitor the OS volume meaning the system partition, and if so why did that change? I don't know what that 'Knowledge" section said in v7, but as I pointed out from my v7 experience this same alarm was triggered on the guest H drive which is not where the OS is installed in that guest.
COE_Jim
Novice

Post by COE_Jim »

It looks as if the default Guest disk space alarm is no longer triggering for any VM's. I deliberately began filling a guest disk on another monitored guest and pushed it over the Warning limit. No alarm was triggered. When I select this guest and click the Alarms tab there are no alarms. When I click "Defined Alarms" I see the Guest disk space alarm listed and it is not suppressed. I haven't tried applying the custom alarm to it but I'll do that now.
COE_Jim
Novice

Post by COE_Jim » 1 person likes this post

I've opened a support case (Case # 00683192). I'll let you know how it goes.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

jholtke wrote:One thing that caught my eye is that on the "Guest Disk Space" alarm details in the 'Knowledge' section is says "Guest OS volume is low on available guest disk space". Does this mean that this predefined alarm is only going to monitor the OS volume meaning the system partition, and if so why did that change? I don't know what that 'Knowledge" section said in v7, but as I pointed out from my v7 experience this same alarm was triggered on the guest H drive which is not where the OS is installed in that guest.
This alarm is triggered for any volume inside the Guest OS, it doesn't matter whether it is system or any other partition. It seems like our QC team has managed to reproduce it. We will release a hotfix for this issue, so if anyone is experiencing the same behavior please contact our technical team.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

The hotfix for this problem is now available and should be obtained through our technical support team.