Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
StrangeWill
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: William Roush

Restart Tape Job Causes Full Weeks Of Backups

Post by StrangeWill »

Really really annoying behavior with the tape system.

Lets say I do a full on Friday, those get pushed to tapes immediately when it's done. Sysadmin reboots the computer (was told not to) on Sunday morning, now Veeam wants to repush the fulls that are already on tape! This was annoying in v7 (it would push all fulls available), but it's still annoying.

Why isn't Veeam keeping track of what is already on tape?
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Restart Tape Job Causes Full Weeks Of Backups

Post by veremin »

What server got rebooted? Backup server or repository where backup files are residing? What mediaset creation and retention settings are specified on the media pool level? Thanks.
StrangeWill
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: William Roush

Post by StrangeWill »

v.Eremin wrote:What server got rebooted? Backup server or repository where backup files are residing? What mediaset creation and retention settings are specified on the media pool level? Thanks.
Backup server and repo are the same server, retention settings are 2 weeks, media set creation is new media set every M-F automatically when a backup is completed.
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

Hmm, there might be some database inconsistencies. The described behaviour looks unexpected. May I ask to open a ticket with our support team and provide its number here? Thanks.
nunciate
Expert
Liked: 39 times
Full Name: Alan Wells

Post by nunciate »

I am seeing something similar. I have a lot of backup jobs and a individual tape job for each backup job. I have bee fighting with this all week. I see the backup job run just fine. The tape job then runs and sends everything it can find to tape. Every full, incremental and reverse incremental in the job is sent to tape. It take a very long time. After the tape out finishes successfully I then let the next nights incremental run and the tape out grabs a tone of files that it just processed the night before and tapes those out again. I noticed this was happening in v7 previously but it seems to have gone haywire in v8.

I am going to try and get all my tapes caught up this weekend and if I still see the issue on Monday I will open a ticket.
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

Alan, can you update required DLL's first and see whether the said issue persists? Thanks.