max0664
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Max

Multiple sites

Post by max0664 »

Hi,
i have a question.
I have more sites with different Hypervisors. I have a main site with WAN connections between 10Mbit - 400Mbit to the other sites. I have sites with Vmware and sites wit Hyper-V. I want keep the most network traffic on the sites localy. Now i use 1 Veeam server on the primary site with a SQL DB. For the vmware site i use Virtual Appliance mode. For the Hyper-V site i use on-host proxy. On each site i have a CIFS shares for the Backup repository and the CIFS shares replicates the backup to the primary site.
So my question. Is the Veeam Server on the primary site ok oder should i have on each site a Veeam Server? And if i need on each site a Veeam Server why?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Re: Multiple sites

Post by Gostev »

Hi, you can keep the single Veeam server in your scenario. The only reason to install local Veeam server in each site would be for faster "local" file and item level recoveries (as those involve mounting backup to the backup server. However, for this purpose you may as well just install separate, basic B&R installs to be used for restores only, and import local backups into them temporarily for recoveries. Thanks!
max0664
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Max

Post by max0664 »

If i use synthetic full Backup is the traffic between the veeam server and the cifs share? I have EMC Datadomain and Datadomain Boost.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

It's between gateway server specified in the backup repository setting, and CIFS share (or Data Domain) itself.