Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Vyras
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Veetus Pack

Failed to get dir files info

Post by Vyras »

I am doing an initial replication to an external drive for 3 VMs 2 of which are win2k and one win2003. All of them are copying all of the data but it still give me failed status on some "Not a valid Win32 FileTime." Any ideas?
Here is a log for one of them:
Total VM size: 30.01 GB
Processed size: 30.01 GB
Processing rate: 8 MB/s
Backup mode: agentless
Start time: 2/16/2010 12:22:08 AM
End time: 2/16/2010 1:29:34 AM
Duration: 1:07:25

Creating snapshot
Failed to perform Veeam VSS freeze: guest OS "win2000ServGuest" is not supported

Finalizing target session
Failed to get dir files info "\\172.16.1.103\Public\citrix(240)"
Not a valid Win32 FileTime.
Parameter name: fileTime
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Re: Failed to get dir files info

Post by Gostev »

Hello Veetus, I have not seen this issue reported before. Please open a support call and send all logs from Help | Support information to support@veeam.com for investigation by our technical staff.
Vyras
Novice

Post by Vyras »

UPDATE. On some machines I was unable to perform an initial replication to a removable storage and on some it worked. The ones that were failing were always failing at the exact same byte count which varied between different VMs. And it was also changing if i was choosing different removable storage but if i was just repeating the job without changing anything it was failing at the exact byte count.

However, small VMs worked sending it directly over WAN. Long and painful process though. I am not proposing a solution here but rather sharing experience.

Win2000 servers (about 40Gig) - copied over WAN.

Win2003 server (about 80 Gig) - one is still copying over WAN. A second similar VM randomly succeded to a removable storage and I am uploading it to a remote datastore with datastore browser. First i tried to copy it with Veeam file copy and it gave me the success but it was a false positive because it only copied about 10%.

Win2003 DC server (about 200 Gig) - initial replication failed multiple times. Tried multiple removable different removable storage options (Shared drive on XP, Win2003, removable USB, and 2 different NAS). And finally I succeeded by unchecking the VSS integration option in job properties. I still have to upload the files to destination datastore which is another headache.

In conclusion:
Errors that I was getting performing the initial replication to a removable storage were:
- The semaphore timeout period has expired
- Not a valid Win32 FileTime
- The specified network name is no longer available (even it in fact was accessible from the machine that Veeam was installed during the time of the error.)
These are Windows errors do their poor ability to handle large files. I had to move one of the initial backups from one HDD to another between windows machines and i was getting these very same messages and the only way i succeeded was to use ROBOCOPY with restartable mode.
I had opened a ticked but unfortunately the support was not a big help. They seemingly tried but dropped the communication without any resolution. :cry:
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

What is the support case number? May be the issue is specific to computer and Window OS version where Veeam Backup is installed, or network issue? Because I have not seen this issue reported before, but I know for sure that some customers are using this functionality successfully even with 1TB+ VMs.
Vyras
Novice

Post by Vyras »

Case # is 520523. Veeam is installed on 2003 standard SP2 which is a VM that I cannot perform an initial replication with VSS enabled. Support guys got stuck at the place where they said that i have to enable root access on ESXi but that option is greyed-out on Veeam configurator and they could not tell me why. The guy had connected to check the machine and said that he will get back but never did.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

OK, I had support manager review the case and it will be re-opened for further investigations.
Vyras
Novice

Post by Vyras »

I still have no solution and nobody had contacted me.