Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
cdl007
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Chrsitophe D

V8-Netapp rescan storage

Post by cdl007 »

hi community,

periodically and randomly the veeam server scan the storage with lun clone method (iscsi).
The software iscsi is down on windows side, could you explain how it's done ? what happen if i don't have iscsi license ?
Is it possible to customize the process, scan volume instead lun map, chose particular volume to scan

thanks

christophe
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2728 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: V8-Netapp rescan storage

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Christophe

We are using our own initiator to do detect new snapshots. If you don't have any license keys for the iSCSI, then backups via NetApp snapshots will not be possible. Customizing or excluding storage volumes from a rescan process is not possible, but you can manually launch a rescan job to any volume you want.

Thanks!
cdl007
Enthusiast

Post by cdl007 »

Vitaly,

Since veeam server scan the NetApp storage, i can see periodically on console this message :
ISCSI: iSCSI protocol violation, 'Initiator sent bad opcode 06 during login sequence...

Another question, in some situation i can't expose Iscsi protocol to management interface, i have to specialize interface to do this, is it possible on veeam server side ?

Christophe
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Christophe,
cdl007 wrote:Another question, in some situation i can't expose Iscsi protocol to management interface, i have to specialize interface to do this, is it possible on veeam server side ?
Not sure I fully understood the question, but management interface is only used for config traffic (to get the configuration info from your NetApp), and data protocol is used (by proxy servers) for rescan and backup process.

Thanks!
cdl007
Enthusiast

Post by cdl007 »

Vitaly,

ideally I would like the specialized rescan on an interface in a dedicated vlan.

The storage discovery process can take more than 1 hour to scan netapp box whith data not concerned by the backup such CIFS NAS and attached snapshot to volume.
It would be very usefull to exclude this data

Christophe
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Excluding particular volumes from the rescan process is planned for our next updates, thanks for confirming that this would be useful for you.

As regards the rescan process, then it is done via one of the data protocols configured on the NetApp, and there is no way to pick up a specific interface for that job, but again thanks for the feedback.