Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
pufferdude
Expert
Liked: 15 times
Full Name: Jim

post-job enhancement request

Post by pufferdude »

I'm currently using the trick of "linking" my individual veeam backup jobs so that one starts immediately after another stops, so that I don't have to guess at scheduling times, etc. It all works great... except when one job fails for whatever reason. When a job fails, the post-job script (starting the next backup) does not run, so everything later than the failed job doesn't get backed up.

Wouldn't it be a relatively simple enhancement to let the post-job script run even if the job itself fails? That would help me out a lot. I don't get a LOT of job failures, but they do happen occasionally.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6700 times

Re: post-job enhancement request

Post by Gostev »

Jim, this functionality was primarily designed for tape integration, which is why it only start the script when the job is successful. Did you consider starting your jobs from PowerShell script, this should let you chain run job with no dependency on specific job's result.
pufferdude
Expert
Liked: 15 times
Full Name: Jim

Post by pufferdude »

I have not considered this, and I'm not a PowerShell expert. But how would the PowerShell script know when one job finished in order to start the next? (maybe it's easy... like I said, I don't know PowerShell well) The beauty of using the post-job function in veeam is that there are zero gaps in the backup window, one job immediately follows the next, no matter how long each takes. Every other option I can think of involves "guessing" how long a backup will take in order to schedule the next, which inevitably leads to overlapping backups and/or large gaps where nothing is being backed up because a job finished quicker than you guessed.

Can a PowerShell script be used to create the same job-chain that I get when using veeam's post-job functionality?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6700 times

Post by Gostev »

Sure, this will work in the exact same fashion, see here for more information.