Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
stuartmacgreen
Expert
Liked: 34 times
Full Name: Stuart Green

Tapes Expires In date has passed. Veeam 8

Post by stuartmacgreen »

In Veeam 8, can I clarify that the expected behaviour of the Tape Infrastructure towards Media in Media Pools is that it will NOT clear from the catalog when the Expires In date and time has passed.?

My thought would be that all the backup data on that media has now expired and YES the tape would be free to re-use in the Pool but that the Expires In field would now become Not Defined and also Capacity and Free sizes would match and there are no Files recorded on the tape in the catalog as this Expires date has passed.

I suppose I also leaning towards the ability of the software to then return 'Free' tapes back to the Free pool. ie what other software has the ability to become a scratch pool.

Your helpcenter pages do state
http://helpcenter.veeam.com/backup/80/v ... tapes.html
To understand which of the tapes can be overwritten, you can check their expiration date. In the Tape Infrastructure view, open the Media node and check the Expires in field for the needed tapes. You can sort the tapes by the expiration date and get the list of tapes that can be reused.

So you have to say ok this date has passed.. I can set this tape to free.

The tape engine will however use this tape in scheduled jobs.

I'm just at odds against how this works from a tape management point of view.

So in effect you can still get to your backup data beyond the Expires In date?
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Tapes Expires In date has passed. Veeam 8

Post by veremin »

The expired tape should be automatically returned to its original media pool and be re-used by a tape job pointed to that media pool during the next run. Do you experience different behaviour? Thanks.
stuartmacgreen
Expert
Liked: 34 times
Full Name: Stuart Green

Post by stuartmacgreen »

Let me be more specific.
Currently I have a couple of tape media regardless of Media Pool/Location etc that shows "Expires In"
one shows 2014-11-30 1:12PM
other shows 2014-12-01 7:59AM

System time is 2014-12-01 1:25PM
That Expire In time has passed.
Why does it still show that Expire In time? It should be cleared by now. If not why not?
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Currently, this is by design. We will consider changing the label for expired mediums to "Already expired" in one of the next product releases. So, thank you for the feedback; highly appreciated. Thanks.