Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
schmitch
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Christian Schmitt

Daily Full Backup to Tape (v7)

Post by schmitch »

Hello, we have a customer running Veeam Backup & Replication v7.

He currently want to use a Tandberg QuickStation RDX for Tape Backups.
Currently he has a NAS where he does incremental Backups.

Is it possible to have Daily Full Backups to Tape? Like Mo, Tue, We, Thu, Fr, to a Tape which contains only a Full Backup and no Incremental files at all?
We've read about Synthetic Full Backup, but we are still unsure if everything works.

Also we are considering to upgrade to v8 if it is inside our budget.
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Re: Daily Full Backup to Tape (v7)

Post by Shestakov »

Hello Christian and welcome to the forum!
schmitch wrote:Is it possible to have Daily Full Backups to Tape? Like Mo, Tue, We, Thu, Fr, to a Tape which contains only a Full Backup and no Incremental files at all?
We've read about Synthetic Full Backup, but we are still unsure if everything works.
Yes it is. You can use both Synthetic Full and Reversed Incremental jobs for that purpose.
Virtual Synthesized Full Backup for Tape can also be an option. Do you make backups to a disk repository as well? Which backup method do you use for them?

For instance, you can schedule Reversed Incremental backup job to run daily on week-days and backup to tape job to start just after that job (or even as a post-job activity of the backup job).
schmitch wrote:Also we are considering to upgrade to v8 if it is inside our budget.
If you are on an active maintenance, you can easily upgrade from version 7 to 8 free of charge. Thanks.
schmitch
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Christian Schmitt

Post by schmitch »

Hello, currently we are using Forward Incremental Backup.
And that's why I'm asking. I still have no idea about Synthetic Full Backups to tape (currently we don't have a tape drive yet).
I know that Reverse Backups would work...

Also I hope that the daily backups will do full backups.

Also we found out, that we are only have a Standard License (Backup & Replication Essentials) (with a valid maintance over 719 days), so we first need to upgrade to Enterprise. We contacted your sales. (also somehow we are overlicensed, we have 2 x 2 Sockets, but our two Servers only have 1 Socket per Host).

Oh that'S cool that we could easily upgrade. So we can try out everything new.
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Post by Shestakov »

schmitch wrote:And that's why I'm asking. I still have no idea about Synthetic Full Backups to tape (currently we don't have a tape drive yet).
I know that Reverse Backups would work...
Also I hope that the daily backups will do full backups
In Veeam B&R both options work. As I mentioned above you can either use Reversed Incremental jobs or Forward Incremental jobs with enabled daily Synthetic Full.
You can find more info in the related topics provided in the hyperlinks of the previous post.
Thank you.