Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
frankive
Service Provider
Liked: 134 times
Full Name: Frank Iversen

v8 - backuping up white space?

Post by frankive »

Not sure if this is related to v8 or not but we have a few small customers with extreme small servers (Hp Microserver).
The c: is 150GB but only used 30 GB
The d: is 300GB but only used 4 GB

The disc is dynamic .vhdx (2012 R2 Essentials host and vm)

I can see that the dynamic files (f.ex d:) is actually around 180GB large (even when there is just used 4GB data in my computer in the VM). The shadow copy is abuot 200MB.

Still Veeam is backuping up around 130GB if I run full backup.

Have tried to compact and defrag the .vhdx files but the drives still remain the same.
I think this could be more a Windows issue than Veeam.
But shouldn't Veeam see that there is no data to copy rather than the 4GB on the d: drive?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6700 times

Re: v8 - backuping up white space?

Post by Gostev »

How do you know it's white space? Remember that NTFS does not zero out disk blocks when you delete a file, actual disk blocks will still contain file data. You need to use sdelete or similar tools to really turn unused disk space into white space.
frankive
Service Provider

Post by frankive »

I dont know that, just assumed :)
What you say makes sense (as always). I think there has been pretty large files on some of the .vhdx (client backup) before we isolated them to a separate .vhdx file which we exclude from the veeam backup job. It must be these remaining data blocks which still consist file data that both the .vhdx file holds on too and also Veeam is taking backup of.
I will take a look at sdelete and see if that can reduce the size of .vhdx file and hopefully also the Veeam backup size.

Thanks.
frankive
Service Provider

Post by frankive »

I assume another workaround is to take the VM down, create a new .vhdx harddrive based on the existing drive. It will then just copy the data which is seen (hopefully) :)
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

If you just copy files to this new disk, then yes, the size of the backup will be much smaller.