Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
waya01
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Andrew Way

Restore files missing

Post by waya01 »

Hi,

I am using Veeam Backup and Replication 4.1.

I recently moved 110 user home directories to a server which is being backed up by Veeam. Since the move there have been 7 backups since the move (rollback points).

Yesterday, a user came to me and said they have accidentally deleted some files and need them restored. I launched the Veeam File Level Restore and looked through the backups, but none of the folders I moved onto the server are showing up in any of the subsequent backups.

I have looked through the backups and they all say completed successfully.

Please help!
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Restore files missing

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello Andrew,

Could you tell us if you have any snapshots on the source VM? If yes, please refer to the existing threads for more information: Restore of Windows 2008 files and Veeam 3.0 not backing up latest files

Please let me know if that helps. Thank you!
waya01
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Andrew Way

Post by waya01 »

Hi,

I haven't taken any snapshots of this VM. Just checked and none are showing in the snapshot list.

Will the folders have been backed up and the restore utility is just not showing them? I ask this as I need to get that data.

Thank you
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

Andrew, snapshot may not exist now, but if it was present back when when the backup was taken, you will get this issue. Yes, since backup is image level, whole disk image is taken, there's no way that some files will not be backed up. But because of snapshot, they will reside in snapshot file, they will not be visible in FLR.

Looks like in your case in order to get the files you will need to restore the whole VM on the different host/network, start it up and copy the files from there manually.