Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
jadams159
Enthusiast
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Justin Adams

A practice in v7, is it still valid for v8?

Post by jadams159 »

There were some caveats or best practices that existed in Veeam deployments through version 7 that have been addressed either in these forums or in Veeam documentation. With the extensive list of changes in version 8, I thought it may be helpful to start a thread that addresses some of the major items that the community have used to configure successful deployments prior to version 8 that may not be necessary anymore or have slightly changed.

A couple practices that come to mind for me right off the bat are listed below. While I don't intend for this thread to be an excuse NOT to look through the documentation for answers, I encourage folks that have implemented a practice to resolve an issue or improve performance in previous versions and have questions regarding the use of that practice in version 8.

1 - Backing up vCenter. Do we still need a unique job that is pointed at a host, not vcenter, to backup our vCenter instances?

2 - Regarding concurrent backup jobs for proxies, previously proxies could only process 1 vmdk PER VM concurrently. Can Proxies now process multiple vmdks from the same VM concurrently?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2720 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: A practice in v7, is it still valid for v8?

Post by Vitaliy S. »

1. No, you do not need that and even more, in v7 (patch 4) it was not required > Up-to-date guidance on replicating vCenter VM?
2. VM proxy could process multiple disks of one VM in version 7. Can you please clarify the behavior you're referring to?
jadams159
Enthusiast
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Justin Adams

Post by jadams159 »

Please see Tom Sightler's response in this thread:

http://forums.veeam.com/vmware-vsphere- ... 23190.html
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2720 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Yes, this limitation was applicable to hotadd backup mode only, direct SAN and network processing modes were not affected. In version 8 this hotadd backup mode limitation has been removed. Thanks!