Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
cvacanti
Enthusiast
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Chris Vacanti

Veeam Seeds from Appassure Replication Files

Post by cvacanti »

Does anyone have any experience seeding Veeam replication jobs from Appassure replication files?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Veeam Seeds from Appassure Replication Files

Post by foggy »

Chris, could you please elaborate on how do you imagine this kind of seeding? Veeam B&R replication jobs can be either seeded from the Veeam B&R backup or mapped to the existing VM registered on the target host.
cvacanti
Enthusiast

Post by cvacanti »

What I'd assume I could do since these replication vms from appassure are in inventory in vcenter I could use veeam to back them up, creating the .vib files, and then replicate them back to my DR site. This way I don't have to download a copy of the backup files and either copy them across my pipe or ship a USB drive to the DR site.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

So you have local replicas created by AppAssure, but need a remote replica created by Veeam, right? If you somehow get the backups to DR site, you will be able to seed replica from them.
cvacanti
Enthusiast

Post by cvacanti »

Can't do it directly it seems...the .vib file needed for a Veeam replica isn't there with the appassure files. So here's what I'm going to do:
1. At my DR site where the appassure replicas live make a make a Veeam backup of the Appassure VMs as they show up in vCenter inventory. So Veeam thinks it's just backing up another VM.
2. Once Veeam has a backup create replication job pointed at the production VM at the production site with seeds from the Veeam backup files at the DR site.

I'll let you know how it goes.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Not sure I follow what you're trying to achieve...
tsightler
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2843 times
Full Name: Tom Sightler

Post by tsightler »

If you already have VMs at the remote site, you can just map the replicas to those VMs.

Seeding is just a process where you can take a backup of a VM, move it to the remote location, and then use that backup as a "seed". Veeam will automacally restore the VM to the new location, then map the replica to the newly restore VM.

It sounds like you already have VMs registered in vCenter in the remote location, so you should be able to just do the mapping directly to those existing VMs.