Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
chicagotech
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Bob Lin

Restored VM can't login Domain

Post by chicagotech »

We are trying to moving all VM on ESX 4 host to a new ESX 4.1 host. We use fastSCP to backup and restore one VM running windows 2008 (domain member server). Now, I turn off the VM on the esx 4 and start the restored VM on the esx 4.1. I can logon local admin only. If I try to logon using domain admin, I get the username and password is incorrect message. I have tried 3 domain admin accounts and all of them have the same issue. I am sure the username and password are correct. Any suggestions?
Bob Lin , MVP, MCSE and CNE
http://www.chicagotech.net
tsightler
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2842 times
Full Name: Tom Sightler

Re: Restored VM can't login Domain

Post by tsightler »

Well, you might want to ask on the FastSCP forum, this is the Veeam Backup & Replication forum.

My first thought would be that you didn't name the networks exactly the same on the two hosts so the VM's network adapter is not connected to the proper VM network. When you login with the local account have you verified network connectivity?
chicagotech
Novice

Post by chicagotech »

Sorry, I should give more details. First, I used FastSCP to copy. That didn't work with file in use message. Then I used veeam Backup to backup the server. The network works fine. I can access the Internet and ping DC. I remote access to the VM using remote desktop. Any other suggestions?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Could you please clarify if you've enabled Application-Aware Image Processing in the advanced job settings while performing a backup job?

By the way, I've just thought that this machine account's password might have expired... How long did it take you to move this VM? Have you tried re-joining this VM to a domain?
davidhood
Influencer
Full Name: david hood

Post by davidhood »

I would check the event logs on the 2008 server. Sounds like maybe it has lost its secure connection with AD.

I would be inclined to either remove it into a workgroup and then rejoin,or reset the computer account with netdom or adu&c.
chicagotech
Novice

Post by chicagotech »

The problem is I had two same VM running. Disjoin from the domain and re-join. Then it works. Thank you.
By the way, I have collected a lot cases and you can find them on this link: Restored VM can't access LAN and the Internet - http://www.chicagotech.net/virtualization/vmissue10.htm
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Bob, thank you for the update and for sharing this link.
mysticalice
Influencer
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: mysticalice

Performing a restore from a replica - can't logon to domain

Post by mysticalice »

[merged]

Not sure what i'm missing, but when i failover to a replica, i'm not able to login to the domain, as the computer account it says is not valid.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Please verify that none of the reasons above are present in your case. If everything looks good, drop a message to our support team, as failover option is pretty straightforward.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6647 times

Post by Gostev »

Most likely, the restored computer account's password was changed in AD (automatic periodic changes) after the backup you have restored was taken?
J1mbo
Veteran
Liked: 29 times
Full Name: James Pearce

Post by J1mbo »

Computer accounts have an internal password as eluded to and the domain member periodically changes this, every two weeks springs to mind. Hence when restored it doesn't work, if you're unlucky and between backup and restore the original VM changed it's computer account password.

As said already the solution is to remove from the domain then re-add.

Hope that helps.
jasoncul
Lurker
Full Name: Jason Culceski

[MERGED] Restore has lost communication with Domain

Post by jasoncul »

I restored a image using Veeam Backup and have found that it no longer communicates with Active Directory. In order for communication to occur the server needed to be added back in.
Is this a common occurance? I'd hate to have to restore 20+ server images and find out that I would need to rejoin them to the Domain.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Jason, could the changed computer account password be also the reason in your case?