Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
icebun
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time

Enabling CBT

Post by icebun »

I have just upgraded to vShpere 4.0 and am keen to see how quick incremental backups will be once CBT is enabled.

A quick search through the VMware forums advises that some changes need to be made to the powered off VMs to enable this function (by adding additional configuration parameters such as ctkEnabled=True and scsi#.#.ctkEnabled= true for each virtual disk).

I was wondering if Veeam B&R contains a feature that would modify the settings?

Alternatively I was also looking at scripting and again was wondering if anyone has used this method as an alternative?

Thanks
TrevorBell
Veteran
Liked: 17 times
Full Name: Trevor Bell

Re: Enabling CBT

Post by TrevorBell »

Hi,

When you run VB it will advise if the ctk will need changing, it is pretty simple to change just change the settings from true to false ( VB will tell you where to go and make these changes ), but run VB fist and see if you need to do it.

Thanks

Trev
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2719 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello,

You don't need to do anything to enable CBT on your VMs, as Veeam will handle this for your automatically. For more information, you can have a look at the existing thread: Setting Up Changed Block Tracking

And we do have customers who use PowerShell to setup their jobs, so I hope they will be able to share their experience with you, alternatively you may do some search on the forums to get more information.

P.S. Trevor, you beat me by 1 minute! :)

Thank you!
icebun
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time

Post by icebun »

Guys thanks for the rapid response!

Nice to know this is handled through Veeam itslef