Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
ashman70
Expert
Liked: 12 times
Full Name: Both

Confused re CBT issue

Post by ashman70 »

I have a VM with a disk that was originally created at 150GB it was then extended 50GB to 200GB, so it shouldn't be affected by the CBT bug as far as I understand?

Yet today after a backup completed I got the following error "Unable to truncate transaction logs. Details: KeepSnapshot error: [Freeze job already stopped.]" which may be unrelated.

However when I browse the datastore of this VM I do indeed find -CTK.VMDK files which tells me it is affected by the bug?

I am guess the advice is going to be a reset of the CBT on the VM regardless, but I just find it weird that its affected, if it is indeed.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2717 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Confused re CBT issue

Post by Vitaliy S. »

No, you're not affected by this CBT bug, and the error message is unrelated. Please contact our technical team to find our the reason why transaction logs cannot be truncated.
ashman70
Expert

Post by ashman70 »

Thanks Vitaly, I am just in the midst of performing an upgrade from Veeam 6.5 to 8 in the environment where this VM exists, once that is done and Veeam has run a backup on this particular VM, if I am still getting the error, I will open a case.
ashman70
Expert

Post by ashman70 »

So the existence of -CTK.VMFK files in itself is not evidence that a VM is affected by the CBT bug? What does the existence of these files mean then, if anything?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2717 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

These files are used to track changed block per each virtual disk file, so they will always exist if virtual disk change tracking is used. Thanks!