Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
jonaz
Enthusiast
Liked: 21 times
Full Name: Jona Ziemann

Veeam B&R Integration

Post by jonaz » 1 person likes this post

I would love to see this product fully integrated into Veeam B&R, not just the repository location. That way we have one application for both Physical and Virtual Servers. One application to rule them all!!

And when I say fully integrated, I mean:

1. Enterprise Manager Support for Physical Machines
2. Show Physical Jobs in the Backup Jobs section
3. Encryption
4. Repository Selection
5. Run job using a proxy server instead of local resources
6. Backup Copy Job Support as secondary destination
7. Sure Backup
8. Throttling Policy
9. Failover Plan
10. Convert to VM/OVA Option
11. Tape support
12. Service Provider for cloud repositories.
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Re: Veeam B&R Integration

Post by Mike Resseler »

Jona,

This tool is really designed as a standalone solution, for endpoints and not as a fully managed physical server tool. What you are asking for is a complete sulution for managing physical servers like we (and probably you also) do for your virtual servers today.

Mike
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6646 times

Post by Gostev »

Mike is right, this tool is not designed for servers in the first place, as its name hopefully implies ;)
jonaz
Enthusiast

Post by jonaz »

I agree that this particular product is for non-server endpoints, however, I thought I would throw it out there that many of us Enterprise Users would love to see something similar, but much more robust, built into Veeam B&R. I would love to get rid of Backup Exec all together. And since we have invested a lot with Veeam, I would love to see Veeam integrate this product, or something along these lines into B&R. I have been eagerly waiting for Veeam to add this functionality into B&R. This product is definitely a step in the right direction.

And just a note, the VEB User Guide Documentation does state that this product works with servers. Here are some snippets from the documentation:

"On Microsoft Windows Server version, the full VSS snapshot is created"

"For Microsoft Windows Server Edition if an application on the computer uses transaction logs to maintain the database consistency. Veeam Endpoint truncates transaction logs upon successful backup"

And it is also listed in the System Requirements, basically suggesting that you can install and use VEB on Windows Server 2012 R2, 2012, and 2008 R2 SP1. But then again, all i'm hearing is that you shouldn't use this product with Servers.

If this product isn't supposed to be used with servers and/or it will not be supported with servers, then I would suggest that this information is removed from the documentation.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Jona, no one is saying that Endpoint will not backup server OSs. What we are trying to say – there is no additional care for server applications which might be expected by existing VBR customers. Endpoint is not a backup solution for backing up a SharePoint farm with remote SQL or Exchange cluster, but in case of standalone installation of such applications restore would work.
jonaz
Enthusiast

Post by jonaz »

But then again, "It's not designed for servers" (Gostev).

Either way, I would love to see something like this product fully integrated into B&R in the future. That is all I'm trying to say.
jonaz
Enthusiast

Post by jonaz »

And yes Mike that is exactly what I want, but I don't want it to be a separate solution just for managing physical servers. I would like it integrated into B&R, so that we would have one solution to backup all of our servers. Obviously this product is not intended for the Enterprise, but it could be used as a stepping stone to build this technology into B&R.