Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
krogerss
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time

Veeam Explorer for Sharepoint

Post by krogerss »

Hi all, I currently have Veeam (version 8) set up using the Sql Express that comes with the software. However, I was unaware at the time that we had a Sharepoint database that is way larger than 10GB. What are my options for performing file level restores from this database, if any? Thanks in advance.
tsightler
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2843 times
Full Name: Tom Sightler

Re: Veeam Explorer for Sharepoint

Post by tsightler »

Well, there are always options. Obviously one option is to install full SQL on the Veeam server.

Assuming you're not wanting to take that approach you can install a copy of Veeam on the SQL server that houses Sharepoint database and just use the import button to import the backups manually when you need to do a restore. This is actually a very simple and quick process, you just click the import button, browse to the Veeam backup files via the network and do your Sharepoint restore from this server, then right click to remove the backups from the console. In effect this second install of Veeam is used for nothing but Sharepoint restores. It doesn't need to be connected to vCenter or anything.
krogerss
Enthusiast

Post by krogerss »

Yeah, I don't want to install a full Sql version on the Veeam server. However, I'm not sure if installing Veeam on one of the Sql servers is going to be an ideal option as well. So, Sql and the "Explorer for SharePoint" essentially have to be on the box, thus this being where Veeam B&R is installed and there is no way to mount and browse a database, correct? In the case of installing another copy Veeam like you mentioned, does this require an additional license? Also, this doesn't have to be on the same Sql server that houses the SharePoint content, right? We have other Sql servers that may be more appropriate if we have to go this route. Sorry for all the questions, but I certainly appreciate the help. Thanks again.
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Post by Shestakov »

krogerss wrote:So, Sql and the "Explorer for SharePoint" essentially have to be on the box, thus this being where Veeam B&R is installed and there is no way to mount and browse a database, correct?
Veeam Explorers are part of Veeam Backup and replication product.
The staging Microsoft SQL Server must run on the machine where Veeam Explorer for Microsoft SharePoint is installed (Veeam backup server).
krogerss wrote:In the case of installing another copy Veeam like you mentioned, does this require an additional license?
No, it doesn`t. It`s fully described in FAQ.
krogerss wrote:Also, this doesn't have to be on the same Sql server that houses the SharePoint content, right?
Correct. Thanks.
tsightler
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2843 times
Full Name: Tom Sightler

Post by tsightler »

No additional license is needed for installing another copy of Veeam and yes, you could install it on any server that has full SQL that is at least the same SQL version or newer than the Sharepoint content database. You can even use the free edition if you want.

There are technically ways to "browse" the DB from another host but IMO they are quite a bit more complex and I find just having a second install of Veeam to use as a "restore console" for Sharepoint is usually the easiest way for most user. I think there is a post on the forum that describes one users method of using NFS and sharing out the VeeamFLR directory to get this to work.
krogerss
Enthusiast

Post by krogerss »

So what is this kb article referring to here then? - http://www.veeam.com/kb1769. Thanks.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6700 times

Post by Gostev »

It refers to installing another instance of licensed SQL Server locally on Veeam server, and selecting it as a staging server. Alternatively, you can of course simply license your existing SQL Server Express install.
krogerss
Enthusiast

Post by krogerss »

Gotcha, thanks for the help everyone.
krogerss
Enthusiast

Post by krogerss »

Sorry to touch on this again, but I've did what was suggested and installed Veeam on (full) Sql Server. I imported the backup file that has SharePoint items and attempted a restore. However, it notifies me that restores are only available in Enterprise edition. So I would have to save the file and then reupload it to SharePoint? Is this correct? Thanks.
krogerss
Enthusiast

Post by krogerss »

Disregard my previous post... thanks.