Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
florian.meier
Service Provider
Liked: never

Question about Netapp Snapshot and Proxy

Post by florian.meier »

Hi

If I backup my infrastructure over netapp integration is from veeam proxy and replication server the connection to the esxi/vsphere nessesary?
Im asking because we have multiple vlans for backup. The proxy server and replication server is attached to the vlan where the netapp storage and backup and replication server are in.

Setup:
4x proxy server (vlan: backup)
2x respository server (vlan: backup)
1x netapp storage (vlan: backup)
1x veeam and replication server (vlan: backup and vsphere)

We want only the veeam backup and replication server in multiple vlans with access to vsphere farm, (proxy and replication only in one vlan together with netapp) is this possible or is there a problem espacally on restoreing a vapp without netapp features? (We do not use snapvault, only the snapshot system from netapp, backup is forward incr mode)

On a restoring scenario, through which server is the traffic flowing? throuth respository -> proxy -> backup and restore -> vsphere?

thank you for help.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6646 times

Re: Question about Netapp Snapshot and Proxy

Post by Gostev » 1 person likes this post

Hi, the traffic will go from repository > to proxy > to datastore. B&R server is not involved in moving the data. Thanks!
florian.meier
Service Provider

Post by florian.meier »

Hi Gostev

Thank you for reply. So i do not need a connection from proxy to vsphere enviorment, right?
what about single file restore, goes it also from proxy to datastore?

regards.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

You do need a connect from proxy to vSphere management network in case of NBD restore, but not in case of Direct SAN or Hot Add restore.

File-level restore is very different, as the backup gets mounted on the backup server itself. Then you can either download the file locally (or to any registered server), or restore it back to the original location. In the latter case, direct network connection from backup server to guest is first tried. If that is not available, backup server will try to inject the file into guest through the host (via vSphere management network, using special guest interaction API). This API requires more powerful guest account comparing to restore over direct network connection to guest (see Release Notes).
florian.meier
Service Provider

Post by florian.meier »

Thank you. Which mode would you recommend? We are using NFS so Direct SAN wouldnt be possible, right? Should i use network mode or Hot add?

On File restore, if you are talking about "backup server itself" you mean the server where the backup comes from and NOT the backup and replication server, right?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

If there was a single good mode to recommend in every case, we would not have an option to chose between them ;) please read sticky FAQ and User Guide, and determine yourself what mode fits your specific needs best.

Backup server = B&R server... "the server where the backup comes from" is called repository, as per our discussion above.
florian.meier
Service Provider

Post by florian.meier »

Ok see what you mean. Have to ask in other way..

We have multiple vcenter servers and also multiple esxi clusters. Because of network considartions it would be best for us, to use the virtual appliance mode.
Is it possible to use virtual appliance mode with the proxy installed on the management cluster hosts (which see all nfs storage arrays) to restore on every vm in our hole data center?
some of the vms are placed on other clusters or other vcenter servers..

thank you again!
regards
florian.meier
Service Provider

Post by florian.meier »

Ok, found this documentation http://helpcenter.veeam.com/backup/70/b ... _mode.html
where is written that virtual appliance have to be on same cluster than the vm where i would backup/and also restoring? to. Because we have many of clusters, wouldnt be a nice solution for us.

about network mode:
all my vcenter attached esxi server are connected over 1+1GB (port-channel) management network. is it possible to get the esxi another management interface on 10GB network and force
the network mode to use this "backup-management-10gb-interface" for restoring?

..maybe over host file on proxy server?

thank you.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy » 1 person likes this post

The main requirement for hotadd is that the host running proxy server VM must have all datastores you're backing up VMs from or restoring to connected to it, so that backup proxy have access to them.

Btw, here's a KB article listing all the limitations of using hotadd mode. Worth reviewing.
florian.meier
Service Provider

Post by florian.meier »

thank you foggy, saw that article already. what would you say about network mode and its direction to esxi?
is it possible to do it in the way i described? because i want a 10GB connection for network mode.

its not a problem for us, to add all esxi servers a additional management interface on 10gb network. the question is,
is it possible with veeam, to use this ip address? (vcenter see all esxi over other 1GB ip addresses, but they attached over dns, because of this my idea with the host file on proxy)

or maybe veeam needs nothing like this and finds the right way anyway?
for my scenario the proxy is only connected to this 10GB network, no other network.
ESXi also have a interface 10GB on this network. Only B&R Server see the esxi over other ip addresses - maybe this doesnt matter.

B&R Server have interface in vsphere management(1GB) network and also in the 10GB Backup network where the proxy and esxi with ohter interfaces also.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Here is an existing topic that would help you with this question > Choose Interface for backup data transfer
florian.meier
Service Provider

Post by florian.meier »

thank you vitaliy, saw this cases. as i understand, if I bind my hole enviorment over dns into veeam b&r there is no problem to manage this with host files, are you agree?
florian.meier
Service Provider

Post by florian.meier »

sorry still some things are unclear for me. i draw a picture to show you what i want exactly:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bw_VqN ... sp=sharing

I try to reach Network Mode trough VLAN100 but as you can see, vsphere server and also vcloud director is only attached to management interfaces (1gb) of my networks.
Is it possible to handle the traffic over maybe this tool http://helpcenter.veeam.com/backup/80/v ... twork.html to handle the traffic trought right interface?
thank you.