Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
liviu.tutuianu
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: Liviu Tutuianu

Upgrade your Enterprise Infrastructure to v8

Post by liviu.tutuianu »

Dear all,

I am getting back to you a topic that I raised it when we had to upgrade our infrastructure from v 6.5 to v 7 in an enterprise environment. At that moment, the only solution was to install the software on all VBRs manually.

But now, our infrastructure is even bigger. We are talking about 200+ VBRs in 16 countries ( 2800+ VMs protected by Veeam) that have the v7 with the latest patches patches...but we want to upgrade it to v8.

So, is there any solution created to upgrade all VBRs to v8 as automatically as possible? Because doing it manually isn't really fun for us... Also, we will be in the same situation when a new patch will be realeased..

How would you proceed if you were in our situation?

Thanks,
Liviu
tsightler
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2843 times
Full Name: Tom Sightler

Re: Upgrade your Enterprise Infrastructure to v8

Post by tsightler »

As you may be aware Veeam has had options for unattended install for quite some time, but indeed this wasn't particularly useful for upgrades because the various components also had to be upgraded by starting the GUI and pushing them out manually. However, in v8 the unattended options have been enhanced to include truly automatic upgrades. See the following from the v8 "What's New" document:
Automatic upgrade: The new VBR_AUTO_UPGRADE="YES" unattended setup option has been added.
When enabled, the setup wizard initiates all Veeam components to upgrade automatically and make
truly unattended upgrade a possibility for environments with dozens of backup servers.
It's also my understanding that going forward patches to v8 will also include options to support completely automated upgrades as well.
liviu.tutuianu
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: Liviu Tutuianu

Post by liviu.tutuianu »

Dear Tom,

You are right, we could use an unattended installation by creating those scripts... but it isn't the easiest way ever like a software push directly from a central location... I know that we are talking about upgrading a backup server and not a client, but as there is this unattended install procedure available, I think it would be quite easy for the development team of Veeam to create a push of an unattended upgrade.

In our case I think we will use a third party software (maybe SCCM) to do this. But maybe we will get some news on this starting next version? :)

All the best,
Liviu
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6723 times

Post by Gostev »

Hi, Liviu. I am just curious how do you currently deploy all other server software to those branches? Veeam should not really present a unique problem here, as I assume we are not the only application you have running in your branches, so you must have some "universal" software distribution solution already in place? If yes, what is it that you are using for this purpose with other applications today? Thanks!
Andreas Neufert
VP, Product Management
Liked: 1408 times
Full Name: Andreas Neufert

Post by Andreas Neufert »

Hi Anton,

so Livius ideas was not to deal with other departments software deployment stuff (maybe problematic on such a system because of other installation timeframes, special requiements (no default software packages..).

If I´m right Liviu is asking for a Enterprise Manager button that updates all B&R Server and Roles (Proxy/Repository) with a single click. (Feature Request).