Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
nunciate
Expert
Liked: 39 times
Full Name: Alan Wells

Feature Request Tape Out Monthly Support

Post by nunciate »

I am sure this has been posted before. Probably even by me. I think I requested this when v7.0 was released but here it is again.

I perform Daily, Weekly, Monthly and Yearly tape outs. I would love it if the tape jobs could support more than just 2 of these. Right now you can only select 2 media pools and I want to be able to select all retention times in a single job.

How do I currently get around this? Once a month (First Friday every month) I change all of my tape jobs to use my monthly media pools for the full. My full backups run and the tape jobs send them to the correct pool. Then after that weekend's tape jobs have finished I move them all back to weekly tape pools for the full. I have to do this every month and it is really kind of a pain.

Alternatively, I could just backup everything to the same pools. Then after the weekend I could simply move my tapes to the correct Monthly/Weekly pool and re-catalog them. That is also a pain. I tried it in the past and it is just easier to change the pool in the jobs

Yet another alternative would be to run file to tape jobs. This method is no also not preferred because there is no record of the VMs that are on the tape in the Backups Tape section.

I realize tape support is relatively new to Veeam but this type retention based on daily, weekly, monthly and yearly tape out is a feature common to all of your competitors and should be considered a high priority if you wish to offer a fully operational backup suite.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Feature Request Tape Out Monthly Support

Post by veremin »

Hi, Alan, the situation with GFS rotation on tapes has been changed in version 8, since you still have to run certain workarounds with this one being the most popular one. Thanks.