Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
ammayer
Influencer
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Alan Mayer

Feature Request - Password protect control panel

Post by ammayer » 1 person likes this post

It would be nice to password protect the entire Endpoint Backup control panel. I have a few VIP machines but I don't want end users making changes to the backup.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6724 times

Re: Feature Request - Password protect control panel

Post by Gostev »

Should we only allow Local Administrators to make changes to backup settings? Because VIP users that are not supposed to "change stuff" on a computer (such as my wife) should be running as Users or Power Users anyway...
Luke Maslany
Novice
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Luke Maslany

Re: Feature Request - Password protect control panel

Post by Luke Maslany »

Could you not restrict access to a local security group on the machine? Either the in-built Backup Operators group or a custom group created during installation? If the latter you could add the local Administrators group by default. This seems a fairly extensible means of allowing non-administrative users access to the control panel for scenarios where delegated access may be required.

Also you may want a user to be able to access the Control Panel for purposes other than modification of settings - for example to access and forward information about the backup status. If the user cannot access the control panel they cannot access and/or forward the reason of the failure.

Role-based granular access using local security groups for the win! :)